Security Sensor Integration - Ring vs DSC

In the list of compatible devices, I see Ring security V2 sensors listed, but not any DSC Power G sensors.

Does this mean that Hubitat can leverage Ring sensors, but not DSC Power G sensors?

For sensors it can use to trigger events/routines/etc, does it require the sensor to be paired exclusively with hubitat, or (for instance), can a motion sensor be maintained for use with the Ring security system, and also share that data/trigger with Hubitat?

Thanks!

The Ring sensors are standard Z-Wave and can be paired directly with Hubitat. I'm not familiar with DSC Power G.

It depends. Z-Wave devices can only be paired to a single hub. However, hubs can share information with each other directly or through a cloud service. There is a community Ring integration that I believe allows Hubitat to "see" the device states of the sensors connected to the Ring base station. Check it out to be sure.

2 Likes

These appear to be proprietary sensors that use the 433MHz spectrum in the US, which isn’t surprising since they are intended for use in a purpose-built security system.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks Dylan.c! I will check that out... seems like a long thread with a lot of troubleshooting, so curious to hear how well it works.

I don't have much exposure to Z-wave, but it makes sense that it could be paired with a single hub. I had another person tell me differently in another forum, but I wasn't seeing how that would work.

Yes, that sounds right. Sounds like going that route, I'm relinquished to using alarm.com and seeing if there is a hub that integrates with it.

I moved from Alarm.com (Vivint) to Ring a while back for a couple reasons. 1. The available, though unofficial, integration with Hubitat; 2. The much, much better pricing point of Ring versus Vivint. That did leave me with a bunch of the Alarm.com hardware - I really did like those small sensors - they worked very well and the small batteries lasted quite a while!