Schlage vs. Yale vs. Kwikset

As long as you aren't home... there isn't much you are going to do about that....other than have cameras to catch the dirty b@$@stards.

Luckily for me unless they walked to my house...I'd at minimum have all kinds of high def video of whatever vehicle they came in.

2 Likes

Yeah that's why I have a bunch of Ring devices around the exterior (!!) of our house - for initial deterrent and for post crime analysis. I also use the HE for a consistent light schedule/routine whether we are home or not.

2 Likes

You must not live near the (edit: southern US) border. :slight_smile: That isn't much of a deterrent here - around here they are out of the country after a few days of robberies.

But a very prudent layer of protection nonetheless - and I have the same.

The Canadian one...but there is about 50 nautical miles of lake between us and them.

I live in a pretty safe area as is. The more likely scenario for me is kids messing around or the occasional casing of something you might leave in your yard. Neighbor had a motorcycle trailer stolen once. Left next to his garage not secured. Neighbor across the street new girlfriend's tires got slashed...pretty sure it was the old boyfriend..but they came asking for my camera footage to prove it.

1 Like

I've had to share camera footage a few times, too (vandalism stuff - teenagers). It is great to have when you need it!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. Surprisingly, for us, it will probably not get used as much as a lock in a residential setting: Sundays, Wednesday nights and then a few times during the week. I figured it would definitely help with someone forgetting their key or needing to get in to decorate for a baby shower on a certain day/time and me having drive over and unlock it. I am leaning towards the Zigbee Yale YRD226 purely for aesthetics I guess.

Locks should definitely be more robustly made but as my Dad was fond of saying "Locks just keep the honest people out". Therefore, this lock will be used with Dahua Starlight cameras (and Blue Iris) to monitor all entrances as well as the parking lot. We do lock all doors at a certain time during Sunday morning worship and will have a "security volunteer" to monitor these cameras and control access via this lock (for those arriving late). Do they make smart locks for aluminum storefront doors?

1 Like

Your dad was smart. :smile: I guess it does keep casual/non-committed miscreants out too.

This only matters if you've already covered your windows with metal bars. For most homes, it's just to keep slightly honest people honest. If someone wants in, they'll get in unless you live in a cave.

The door for which my lock is installed has a single pane piece of glass about 5" from the deadbolt. You could break that glass by hitting it hard with the loose change in your pocket, so I'm not about to go wild with high security locks.

My basement door has a small set of windows and I covered them with some iron slats for just that reason!

My main strategy though is to hopefully deter/delay/record an event if possible.. I know someone who is determined can easily get in if they want to.

3 Likes

Where did you say you lived? :wink:

New Jersey! :rofl:

There is a bit of an absurdity of me putting bars in my basement door window in our very low crime community. I just kinda got stuck on the fact that someone could simply break the window and unlock the door. Fortunately the door is out of sight from the neighbors etc so no WAF to contend with.

2 Likes

Most efforts towards security are really just about comfort. As long as whatever is done helps someone feel like it adds to their security, the job has been accomplished.

Deter/delay/record is our philosophy as well.

Deter the lazy thieves
Delay the serious thieves
Record the successful thieves

4 Likes

Very good strategy. Although necessary, locks are only deterrents. Anyone that really wants in will get in.

I know this is an old thread but am I reading that the Zigbee locks are more reliable than the zwave locks?

That is a complicated question!!! I own a Yale YRD256 and for me it took replacing the z-wave module with a Zigbee one to get reliable performance. Others have had success with Z-Wave so ymmv.

I think it depends a lot on your IoT environment - what kinds of devices, how many, location of hub, brand of lock etc.

I have both a Yale Z-wave lock and a Yale Zigbee lock. One is about as reliable as the other and both can miss the first lock or unlock request at times. I am using the Reliable Locks app with both and that does help.

1 Like

I have a bunch of xiaomi sensors and 6 sengel bulbs with a lot of Zigbee routers and I have zero issues with Zigbee.

I have 9 zwave switches. They are of various brands some zwave some zwave plus.

Put it this way: there are many lengthy threads here and elsewhere filled with troubleshooting Z-Wave locks. While Zigbee locks are less numerous, they don't seem to cause the same number of problems. Most problems with Zigbee locks seem related to mesh issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.