Schlage BE469ZP weird behavior

Hey everyone,

I'm new to hubitat and smart homes in general. I decided to go with hubitat because I can't find any samsung smart things hubs and I'm a dev so i'm not scared to get technical.

I just bought a house that has two schlage BE469ZP locks. I added zwave plus repeaters in the house to avoid having any signal and pairing issues. I have the locks paired just fine but i'm seeing quirky behavior that i'm not quite sure how to fix or if I can even fix.

For whatever reason when I'm on the device page I have to click lock/unlock twice before either lock will actually lock or unlock. I don't believe its a signal issue because one is on the other side of the wall where my hub is and the other is very close to a repeater I have setup. On top of this issue I am completely unable to control the locks through dashboard locally and remotely. I can see their statuses accurately just fine, but for whatever reason they refuse to lock/unlock through the dashboard.

Below are my details:
Hubitat Elevation® Platform Version

Hardware Version
Rev C-7

Both locks are set to Schlage BE469 Lock device types.

Any tips on how to get these locks to work through the dashboard? Also how to not have to click twice through the device page?

If I can't solve this issue i'm thinking of just returning the hubitat since I don't want to spend money replacing the locks.

Thanks

So the good news is I have this same lock on my back door (Schlage BE469ZP), and the previous model (Schlage BE468 older z-wave) and they have been working great against my C5 (I haven't transitioned over to my C7 yet).

The bad news is that probably means something is unique to your setup.

I'd suggesting turning "Enable descriptionText logging" and "Enable debug logging" on to see what commands are actually being sent and when, as that might help you figure out why you have to press lock/unlock twice. (I also have "Enable lockCode encryption " off, but to be frank, I don't think having it on should have any adverse affect, someone else might know)

I also just confirmed that with the Schlage BE469, I can press unlock or lock just once directly on the device page.

Any idea what kind of repeaters you have running in between?
I'm wondering if they are having issues repeating/beaming for zwaveSecurePairing devices.

For context I use two Aeotec Range Extender 6 which are working great, as other repeaters are based on z-wave series 300 and not the newer Gen5's or z-wave plus which handle security natively.

More details here in this post on what most Locks require: Aeotec Range Extender 6 - #34 by Eric.C.Miller

Edit: Another interesting post on the subject about lock "beaming" on the ST forum.

I went with the Aeotec Range Extender 6 repeaters. I have two, one setup next to the hub and one near the lock thats far away.

I do see something strange in the logging when I hit lock or unlock and the lock actually does something:

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:16.475 pm warnskipped alarmType:25

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:16.472 pm debugalarmv2.AlarmReport: AlarmReport(alarmLevel:1, alarmType:25, eventParameter:[], numberOfEventParameters:0, zensorNetSourceNodeId:0, zwaveAlarmEvent:4, zwaveAlarmStatus:255, zwaveAlarmType:6)

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:16.438 pm debugparse: zw device: 0A, command: 6C01, payload: 18 08 71 05 19 01 00 FF 06 04 , isMulticast: false

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:16.294 pm infoGarage Door Lock was unlocked [digital]

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:16.288 pm debugDoorLockOperationReport: DoorLockOperationReport(doorCondition:2, doorLockMode:0, insideDoorHandlesMode:0, lockTimeoutMinutes:254, lockTimeoutSeconds:254, outsideDoorHandlesMode:0)

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:16.249 pm debugparse: zw device: 0A, command: 6C01, payload: 19 07 62 03 00 00 02 FE FE , isMulticast: false

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:03.891 pm warnencryption is: true

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:03.888 pm warndescription logging is: true

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:03.884 pm warndebug logging is: true

dev:52020-12-15 09:58:03.881 pm infoupdated...

Not sure if this skipped alarmType warning is indicative of anything.

So that indicates your garage lock did unlock after you sent it a command from what I understand. Is the issue that it didn't actually happen?

Edit: Also worth reading this thread on resetting your door:

No the issue is I have to click the button twice in the device page to make anything happen.

Also the locks don’t lock or unlock at all through a dashboard, but I do get updated on the current status of the lock in the dashboard.

Try setting up the Hubitat beside the door, reset the door to factory defaults, exclude pairing then include pairing the door. Ensure you test everything when the Hubitat is beside the door. Once complete, then bring Hubitat back to where it will stay and scan the network again.

let us know how that goes.

Alright I went ahead and did that and with the lock reset, excluded and reincluded, and the Hubitat right next to the door the behavior is exactly the same.

I have no problem adding codes or including and excluding I really don’t believe it’s a signal issue especially now that the hub is sitting next to the lock.

Something is going on with the software. The lock can unlock and lock and I see the current status fine. Just for whatever reason I have to press the lock and unlock twice slowly to make it work. If it were a signal issue it wouldn’t always be exactly two slow clicks to make the lock do something. I would expect it to be sporadic. Also no clue why the dashboard doesn’t toggle the locks but sees the status just fine.

So either something is wrong with both my locks or something is wrong with the Hubitat. I’m inclined to say it’s the hub, at this point I’m tired of wasting my time in this thing. I’m gonna return it and just try something else.

Maybe the driver, have you tried using the Generic Z wave Lock driver instead?

Just tried with the generic z wave lock driver and have the same exact behavior.

Shouldn’t need it, but at this point, why not. Might want to install the Relaible Lock App and see if it works better for you. It will create a virtual wrapper for the lock that might behave better.

This works for me! I set the app to retry if the lock is unresponsive and now the dashboard works fine. Idk what the underlying issue is but this nifty wrapper hides that away and just keeps trying so that's perfect. If anyone else has this issue use the Reliable locks app!

2 Likes

So I'm here because I have the same exact behavior - I need to press LOCK and UNLOCK two times to get the device to fire. At first I thought it was acting random but no, it's repeatable over and over... the device works on two identical commands.

A little history, this is the new ZW Plus unit I just got in the mail today, replacing my existing non ZP BE469. The old unit was about 95% reliable, and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure if the remaining 5% trouble was the lock or the C7 hub. I may just install my old working lock but I'm curious to try "reliable lock app" first and report back.

To whoever cares, this is the second case of a BE469ZP exhibiting this strange behavior.
-I have FOUR aeotec range extender 7's
-at least a dozen mains powered zwave devices on this hub
-the house is 1600 sq ft
-the old BE469 fired and updated lock status reliably about 95% of the time

...and after looking at this app I'm just going to add, this isn't really a fix, rather a work around.
It seems to fix it because it's wrapping the lock and just sending the lock command twice, invisible to the user.

and... I just paired it to my second c7 and it's the same exact behavior. Only difference is this c7 isn't quite as robust, no repeaters. But same exact experience, requires two identical commands to fire the lock. Reporting lock status works well. Not sure if these are a run of bad locks or if there's something that can be changed on the driver end.

For now I'm installing my old lock and sending this back.

I am also having this exact same problem! Thank God I'm not the only one seeing this. I have two BE469ZP (Front Door/Back Door) locks that will not respond unless I click the lock/unlock button twice or refresh the page then it's good for one lock/unlock command then I have to refresh the page again before I can send another.

I also have a BE469 (Utility Door - Older non ZP) model and it works flawless every time. I even bought some Aeotec Range Extender 6 repeaters and still see the same exact behavior with these two locks.

I can see instant updates on lock status without a problem. This really seems like an interface or driver problem but I'm not sure what to do.

I agree, and it's weird the problem persists for so long with no reply from hubitat or schlage. Maybe people are masking the real problem with a lock wrapper and ignoring the issue.

Bottom line, BE469ZP only responds to the second command, every single time.

The older BE469 works as intended.

I had a working BE469ZP, so I bought two more. They'll pair, but other than identifying it, I can't talk to it. No states at all; junk blank. This is even with the new deadbolts 1' away from the hub.

What's a reliable lock for Hubitat?

My zigbee Yale deadbolt and lever lock have been phenomenally reliable.

Sounds like you have a bad pairing. I have 2, they work fine. Do you have any ghost devices (empty in, outclusters)? If so, you need to remove the ghosts. Then, remove the mis-paired Schlage locks.

Also, you need a beaming repeater near the lock. I use the Ring Alarm extender Gen 2. Aeotec RE7 works fine, too.

I went through exclusion/inclusion cycle at least 15 times unsuccessfully.

That said, I do have a second hub which didn't have anything Zwave on it. I paired the three locks up and each one immediately worked. I'm using Hub Mesh to share these over to the other hub, so I guess functionally it's the same thing.