Schlage BE469NX connectivity issues / unreliable

Fair enough

A wise and reasonable decision given the recent controversy.

3 Likes

Man reading this thread, I’m really glad I ended up buying the Zigbee version of this same lock from Schlage. Absolute opposite experience and completely pain free.

I mostly went Zigbee for locks because of all the issues I was having with my old August Z-Wave lock. I’ve used multiple HA platforms and Z-Wave lock issues aren’t exclusive to hubitat.

3 Likes

Yep. And a former broadcast RF engineer too.

73, N2RWE

2 Likes

Got my tech about 10 years ago. Just got my Extra about six months ago.

1 Like

Congrats! Still a General here, but one who had to learn Morse to get it. :sunglasses:

Thanks. I got somewhat lucky. I took my General and in the same session took my Extra. Studied hard for the General and just read the Extra material, didn't really study it per se. I didn't need to learn CW but taught myself anyway because that is what intrigued me to begin with.

Just want to reiterate that I tried those Schlage locks on both the Iris system and the Hubitat system, and they worked the same- very very poorly. Keep fighting a poorly designed lock or cut your loss and get a Zigbee one. Don't blame Hubitat for it not working properly.

4 Likes

Just as a counter-datapoint, I have two BE469ZP installed (firmware 10.9) -- both are 2-3 walls and 50-70 feet from the hub, with some Inovelli switches in between the hub and the locks. Response time is reasonable and they have never failed to respond or dropped off the network.

My only complaint is that one of the two sometimes fails to report status change (nothing at all in the logs) when the thumbturn is used to lock/unlock.

I have pretty much the same experience as you. One BE469 and one BE469ZP and just the odd manual lock/unlock where a status report doesn't send. Not the end of the world but would be nice if didn't happen.

Maybe nearby radio interference with your Yale? Or maybe the distance to my hub just gives me the stability. My YRD256 With a Z-Wave Plus module has never been an issue. Mine is just 10 feet from the hub. The size of my house sort of dictates this.

I actually bought that lock originally with the intent to just learn more about Z-Wave and how it performs when there are (simulated) hub failures. Only, it was a bad choice for that because I couldn’t ever get a failure in exclusion or joining, and couldn’t make it fail. It’s too good! :joy:

1 Like

Interesting to note that Savant now has an exclusive agreement with Yale and August (e.g. Assa Abloy). I know these things are almost always more about money than anything else, but it does speak volumes that a company with such demanding installations chose their locks over Schlage. It can’t be just about the deal. There’s a lot a stake with that reputation of theirs.

I assume they had no choice in the deal but to also take on August, because they’re built like a pile of crap.

3 Likes

Looked into all of that.

It was pretty much flawless before 2.1.7 After that they started giving me problems. Just could never narrow it down. It would drop off for 3 hours and then come back.

Monitoring again. I just did a full exclude/include to see if that helps.

1 Like

That's great for people thinking about moving to Hubitat, but what about hub owners like myself who have these devices and are trying to make their migrations work?

I researched the compatibility of each z-wave device I owned before making the decision to move. I started my migration to Hubitat in November 2019 with 50 z-wave devices. Since that time, 29 of my original 50 z-wave devices (5 Schlage locks and 24 GE z-wave switches) have now been removed from the Hubitat compatibility list.

So what happens to us owners who made a decision to migrate before these devices were deemed incompatible? The official solution seems to be replacement, which is a big unplanned cost. Will there be no official support for these Schlage locks in the future?

You left out the quote from my earlier post:

That is the present situation. We will be trying some new approaches to these locks in the future, but can make no promises as to success. We thought they worked reliably, and evidently we were wrong in that assessment.

4 Likes

Thanks, I was hoping to hear something along those lines.

How does one accomplish this? Is it because Kwikset offers the zigbee chip for individual sale and the rest of their locks are identical? I.e. those of us with Sh**lage are out of luck...

Yes. I had Schlage locks. They mostly worked for me. But in the end, I replaced them with zigbee equivalents, which just work so much better. It was a tough pill to swallow, but I'm glad I did it.

1 Like

I've got two Schlage locks coming via warranty replacement, which should upgrade me to the zwave plus versions. I'm going to put them on their own hub this time, as I have a spare I haven't been using. If that doesn't do the trick... off to ebay they go!

It's been a few months, so I hope the key players are still watching this thread...

My situation. Migrated over from Iris. I had 1 Sh**lage lock that was giving me the typical business describe at length here. Based on the hard work and suggestions of others, I installed a Aeotec Range Extender 7 near the hub and swapped out the in wall switch that is next to the lock with a Z-wave Plus version. Then I rebuilt my mesh from the ground up. The lock has been working fine ever since. Needless to say I will not be purchasing anymore Z-Wave locks and likely no more Sh@!lage products at all.

My question: I want to add two thermostats to the system. They will both be within direct line of sight and within 15 feet of the lock. Would it be best to avoid Z-wave thermostats for fear of interfering with and screwing up my lock's ability to function?

Lots of recommendations for thermostats out there. I have no interest in WiFi anything, so if Z-wave poses a threat to the lock I guess I'll have to go Zigbee. Been looking at the Lux KONOz (did the internal use of °C with conversion to °F for display and the subsequent rounding error ever get resolved?).

Any other thermostat suggestions that will not compromise my lock?