Schlage BE469NX connectivity issues / unreliable

Hi all - this topic was actually briefly mentioned during Hubitat Live a few days ago - and the founders acknowledged they are aware of the issue. https://youtu.be/FPa05oM_V54?t=2177

@mike.maxwell As you work on debugging the issue, hopefully my reproduction steps above are helpful. If you want to see the video I made for @bobbyD further illustrating the issue and how to reproduce it, let me know.

2 Likes

Did anyone lose the ability to see their locks after upgrade to 2.1.0.123? My locks haven’t updated since 5/31 when I upgraded. @bobbyD any suggestions?

There’s a known issue with the driver for Schlage locks that is expected to be resolved in the next major update: Adding user lock code failed on schlage lock - #22 by craigspree

Adding a few (4) Aeotec repeaters has helped my locks stay connected more regularly but they still fall off the network and stop reporting every few days. There are a few posts recently with people having success with these repeaters and the Schlage locks.

When my locks fall off the network and stop updating, I find that if I unplug and replug the batteries in the lock it tends to get it to start reporting it’s status again for at least a few days.

1 Like

Thank you, Craig. Looking forward to an updated driver. BTW, rebooting my hub seemed to bring things back. It should also be noted that my Kwikset Convert, as well as other Zwave devices, were not communicating until a reboot.

1 Like

I cannot believe how unstable the integration is with these locks. Hard to believe it's an issue with the locks. I am on my third lock ad it still stops working out of the blue. So frustrating. I am going to fire up my old smartthings hub and see if it does the same thing with that.

I feel you frustration. The HE hub doesn’t seem to have as strong of a z-wave radio as my Wink did. Adding 4 of the Aeotec repeaters from this thread did the trick for me. The key is to have one repeater close to your hub and then the other repeaters close to each lock. Yes it sucks but it sucks less than replacing each lock. :slight_smile: Adding Aeotec Range Extenders has made my BE469 and FE599 locks reliable

1 Like

Good to hear. I just bought 2 of the Aeotec repeaters in an attempt to resolve this. They get here tomorrow. If it works...can't believe I had to shell out over $60 to solve this when my hub is in direct view of the lock and 15 feet away.

fwiw, I'm seriously considering replacing my Schlage's with Yale's... my Yale that's in my shed works 1000x better than my Schlage's. =/

Like @craigspree, I moved here from Wink. I am simply amazed at the difference the z-wave range extenders have made to my z-wave locks in particular. My locks (BE469 & FE599) are less than 20 feet removed from my hub. They were difficult to control and would frequently drop off. Adding the first extender about 10-12 inches away from the Hubitat made a huge difference.

Adding additional extenders has made my entire z-wave network rock-solid. Nothing has dropped off. My locks are extremely responsive - I have lock-code based automations that never worked before.

The first month after moving to HE was horrible for anything that depended on automating the locks. I added the range extenders early in May, and I haven't had a single issue since.

I hope your experience is the same. I do recommend that you "repair the z-wave network" after adding them.

4 Likes

I got one of two repeaters and set it up. I put it in the outlet right next to the hub. The other repeater gets here tomorrow and i am going to put it in the hallway outside the office where the hub is. I have two locks, and the one that was not working still wasn't working. I replaced the batteries and it started working right away. I got this lock brand new only about 3 weeks ago. Could the batteries truly be dead already? If so, is that a result of the weak zwave mesh that the repeaters will hopefully solve? I need to rely on these locks and can't have the batteries dying within weeks. Is there a best practice I should be following for settings on the locks or something?

I'm no authority, but that was my experience. The better the mesh, the longer my batteries were lasting. Before I got the repeaters, and when I didn't have enough repeaters, my batteries were dying in just a few weeks. Now they last a few months on the doors that get used several times a day. On the doors that are used a few times a week they have only been changed once.

4 Likes

Same experience here. First set of batteries on Hubitat (before range extenders) lasted ~2 weeks. The second set were put in the first week of May (along with 4 range extenders) and are currently reporting ~80% (so at least 3 months ....).

1 Like

What Kwikset ZigBee locks did you change too?

Update: the lock is FW7.1 I found out. Also, after installing a couple new z wave plus in wall dimmers nearby, the lock doesn’t drain batteries as much. Even when using an Aeotech Repeater it didn’t do this. Also, while I can control the lock from the Hubitat, the lock never properly reports it’s state unless it gets a refresh command sent to it.

After a few hours after power cycling the lock by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery pack, it no longer communicates on its own. So I can lock and unlock, but can’t use the lock state in any automations. Even the lock code notifier doesn’t work.

I'm not sure what changed but my BE469 stopped communicating with the HE on Oct 30th. No new event in the list since. I've already replaced the batteries, and have initiated a z-wave repair on HE. No event. Not when I use the code to open, nor when I turn the handle. Won't do anything when I use the available commands in the device setup, like refresh, lock, unlock, etc.

Do I need to remove it and try pairing again?
What else could I try?

That happens to me every month or so. I found that temporarily unplugging the batteries seems to fix the issue (until the next time it happens).

Yeah I'm about to smash these things with a hammer. Are there any other hubs I can add these too and link the hub to hubitat? I have probably 30 wired z wave plus devices and my locks still suck!

I've actually been in contact with the Hubitat support. Bobby discovered that I have other zwave issues which keeps the hub from maintaining a reliable mesh. So I need to get this fixed before I can even think about going into detail with the lock. Might be worth looking into.

2 Likes

It actually was one of the few things that worked well with the Wink 2 hub but I don't think it's a good idea investing in those right now. Besides it might interfere with your existing zwave mesh.

Have you considered using your Wink Hub 2 as a z-wave repeater with Hubitat? People who have done this say it works very well.