Samsung TV integration Question -- Driver info starting post 127

@SuperDupe If you set it to use wifi instead of a cable it wont go fully to sleep and you can still turn it on without wake on lan. Just FYI.

Thanks Lewis. :slight_smile: I've recently seen people sharing that. My challenge is not wanting to over saturate my WiFi which has a lot of devices already, and also impacting the streaming speeds. I feel a LAN connection is better and more secure. Too bad Samsung won't fix that feature.

I have 5 Samsung TV's with this problem so I threw in an Orbi and gave it a different SSID and then set it to access point mode and connected all the TV's to it on their own Wireless. They are still part of the rest of the network that way but use a different channel so I dont bog down stuff.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the code for this Hass.io integration can be used as the basis of the hubitat integration. I’ve seen Hass.io community use hubitat integrations to make their own, so I’m just wondering If this is possible.

In the meantime, I can install Hass.io vm on my Mac and get a hubitat virtual switch into the home assistant through the hubitat integration. Then I can have them mirror each other. I don’t need volume or channel control, I just want a button that turns on and off the tv.

I have no problem controlling my TV with the SmartThings mobile App without ever adding them to any hub so I know it can be done with proper knowledge.

All my TVs are on LAN and the ST mobile App finds them just fine. I only use WiFi for casting video to them.

Not all models have the issue but a large majority of them do. Typically after about 3 or 4 days settings, support, software update and self diagnosis become greyed out and the only way to restore the options is to either unplug the tv smarthub on smarthub models or hold down the power button on the remote until it turns off and back on. Daily wol seems to help stave off this but not always. Disconnecting wired lan and using wireless lan also seems to help in some cases. When the tv is affected it also shows up in st as disconnected. Turning the tv back on will temporarily restore the ability in the app but only for a few hours after the tv turns off.

I can not turn on a TV via the ST mobile App but I can control all the usual controls once powered up since it is then on the network. Not really sure how it is doing it either. Turning it off usually disconnects it.

Right, that is part of the problem I was talking about. If you pull the lan cable and use wifi you can usually power it on with the app. When it shows up as disconnected hold the power button on the remote to turn it off and keep holding till it turns back on and you can use the app to turn it on again. It's a long known bug on those TV's. For years now. I have a 16, 17, 18, and 3 19's and they all exhibit this in some form. Also under general, network, expert settings, you may have an option for power on with mobile and ip remote make sure both are enabled.

I think it is using Bluetooth.

I would be happy with just source, and channel control but found nothing like that so far. I have sound control via the AVR.

So how do I get it to connect to the TV? I do not even see a place for the IP address.

No fix here. They appear in the ST app but appear to be using Bluetooth.

Hey Jeff. Here's the steps I did to integrate my 2018 Samsung q8 (you've likely done most of this but I'll go to the beginning to help out any troubleshooting if it still isn't working)

-Install HubConnect server to Hubitat
-Install HubConnect server instance to Hubitat
-Install HubConnect remote client to Hubitat
-Install HubConnect AVR driver to Hubitat

In SmartThings, make sure your TV is installed as a device. You must use the new app for this. (Classic will die on Oct 14th anyways so time to switch if you haven't already) Search for devices to add your TV as per Samsung's instructions. Do this using WiFi, not LAN. Using LAN will not allow power on. You should now have a fully functional remote for your TV in SmartThings.

-Install HubConnect remote client for SmartThings in SmartThings IDE
-Connect to server hub as instructed in HubConnect instructions on both Hubitat and SmartThings
-Once connected go back into HubConnect in SmartThings and then set devices to sync with hub
-Go to audio devices
-Go to AVR devices
-Your tv should be listed. Select your TV you wish to include in Hubitat
-Save

Your TV should now be created and synced to Hubitat automatically, and available for any automations you wish to use it in, either as a trigger or an event. (When my TV turns on Hubitat dims my lights if they are on, and turns on my ZigBee controlled TV backlight light strip)

One note. I found that I couldn't connect my SmartThings instance using the new app with HubConnect 1.6. I had to use classic. But then my devices wouldn't all show up when trying to sync, or they would disappear afterwards, which was ultra frustrating. Upgrading to HubConnect 2.0 resolved all this for me.

1 Like

Trying to port over the Samsung TV driver and not sure what to make of this error:

Which driver: git path ?
Thx

Nm I got it now.

Will this one work with the 2014/2015 models? Those apparently used an encryption/encoding based protocol that wasn't easy to implement. Judging by the date of the file and a very high level look at the code I think it might but I can't tell. Thanks

There is an app piece and a driver piece. The app is above. If you follow the branch down and then back up you can find it to try. In the app replace all the entries of physicalgraph with hubitat and in the driver capitalize switch on like line 7 or so.

1 Like