Samsung SmartThings GP-U999SJVLAAA Door & Window Multipurpose Sensor

Can I make this sensor not report temperature? I don't need that functionality. I have several of them and a few seem to be burning through batteries. Is that because of frequent temperature reporting?

1 Like

Theoretically, it should be possible, but Hubitat's driver doesn't let you configure (or disable) this reporting, nor does any community driver I'm aware of. It might work if you use the "Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor (no temp)" driver, but the big question would be whether that "un-configures" temperature reporting or just doesn't generate events for it on Hubitat when the information is received from the device (debug logs would say for sure, but they only stay enabled for 30 minutes after enabling by default). It's also possible this device has quirks that would make it not work well with this driver, though I doubt it offhand.

As for the acutal question about the battery, this seems unlikely to me. I might make sure you're using the right driver ("SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor V5," unless you wanted to try something above) and have hit the "Configure" button just in case that didn't happen automatically on pairing, something you'll also want to do if you switch drivers. I think I only have one of these, but I haven't noticed any battery life problems. I do have three-axis (x/y/z) reporting disabled, which could certainly send a lot of unneeded events if you don't need it to detect tilt/position and your sensor moves around a lot, so maybe try that too unless you need these events.

1 Like

I have everything set as you describe. I guess I will just have to live with it for now. Thanks for the input !

Nah it's right. "Couple of months" I have seen other people say, and it matches my experience. They go a lot faster if the window stays open, too, so I'd say there was a relationship between what the sensor was sensing and the battery usage.

1 Like

@lewis.heidrick posted about some of his experiences here, which may be useful...

But I think that could be because they don't seem to report battery smoothly. Mine do sudden jumps. But I'll see if I can check the firmware anyway. Maybe mine would be better updated.

1 Like

Yeah mine seems to sit on the same battery level and then just die. They do go to 100% when I replace the battery, but typically drop quickly to ~80. I don't have a Smartthings hub to be able to do the upgrade.

I've still got mine... somewhere... But the thought of having to go through and edit all the rules they are involved in so I can exclude them.. :frowning:

Anyway, I have:

• firmwareMT: 1241-0020-00000014
  • softwareBuild: 00000014

So it looks like I am updated to the level mentioned by lewis.heidrich

Yep.

Same firmware here.... 14.

They're a real pain in the neck to replace the battery as well. It's not like the cover just slides off or twists off like the SmartThings buttons. It's a real wrestle, especially if they are stuck to the window.

Yeah, I only realised how they came off after positioning some so that I could not remove the cover. Needed to prise them off the window frame... not pretty.

I'm still running version 11, but can get about a year or so, give or take....

Same here. Hmm...have several of these with the same firmware but different battery times. All are used for open door detection.

I am currently of the belief that the battery life does indeed depend on how often you rattle its cage by opening the window or changing the temperature around it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm still on the fence. What's mentioned in this post about "higher power mode trying to communicate" being material to the battery life on these seems logical to where I have placed one of these.

But, that said, I'm in this thread now trying to see how to update to that "14" firmware you guys are talking about... so we'll see.

Update:
WHOOPS, Nevermind, it seems you have to have the ST Hub to accomplish that firmware upgrade?

1 Like

You are correct. Samsung isn’t sharing.

1 Like