Samsung Multipurpose V5 Sensor - Temperature Updating Too Often / Battery Drain

I have a single SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor (V5) that I just put a brand new battery in, reset, and connected to Hubitat. All of that worked great. However, the sensor is checking in every minute with a temperature update (which is making the log huge and is draining the battery). In 6 days, I've got 1557 log entries and the battery is already down to 85%.

Anyone also seen this or have any suggestions for how to fix?

1 Like

Check the device firmware. There is a fix for it in versions prior to version 14 firmware. You can update it by connecting to ST hub and go into Smartthings IDE and check for firmware updates. You can also turn off descriptive text logging on the device. I use this particular sensor to monitor my dryer. Before the firmware update my batteries were lasting less than a month. After the update, the battery is at the same level as after the firmware update a month ago.

1 Like

A few questions. When you say you have a single Sensor, is that the only one of multiple sensors that’s causing problems or is it your only sensor? Do you have any Zigbee repeaters or do you just have the battery powered devices? Trying to use just the sensor and the hub will be frustrating and will eat batteries. I have six of these sensors (all on firmware version 11) and don’t have any issues with battery usage. I just checked my device history and temp updates are around an hour apart on most sensors and maybe 20 minutes on my uninsulated garage door which has way more temperature changes. I like the smartthings multi-sensors now, but hated them when I didn’t have any plug-in repeaters. I would also at first try resetting it again with a paperclip and then removing and reinstalling the battery and then re-pair it with the hub.

Also, sometimes the battery settles on a percentage like 85% then stays there for months. Battery reporting is not an exact science.

Good Luck

It's the only V5 that I have. I have many V4s that are working fine.

I have some Securifi Peanut plugs that serve as Zigbee repeaters but I only have one paired to the hub currently. Fortunately, this V5 sensor is literally feet from the hub itself.

I'll try this this evening. I thought I had updated it prior to removing from ST but perhaps not.

Which brings up an interesting question - how do you handle updating ST devices after you have automations set up that utilize those devices? Is it easy to remove, update, and put back or will you have to manually update anything that's using it? This sensor isn't really in use yet (except by HSM) thankfully.

Yes.

Reset, pair w/ST, update.
Reset, pair w/HE, done.

Do not remove the device from HE - that will make you have to redo any rules/apps that use it.

2 Likes

Oh good. I couldn't get the sensor to reset without removing from ST but if I can do it without removing from Hubitat, that's great.

There is a little hole on the side where the magnet sticks to. Just stick a paper clip in there for 5 seconds and it will start flashing red green.

1 Like

These are pretty handy and cheap too if you want to convert over to AA batteries for longer life. Alkaline batteries provide better feedback when they are getting low since they don't drop off like lithium batteries. Just connect up the leads and make a little room for the wires to go in on the side.

https://www.amazon.com/WMYCONGCONG-Battery-Holder-Storage-Switch/dp/B07S3RF1BM/ref=sr_1_39?dchild=1&keywords=AA+3V+Battery+tray&qid=1596131279&sr=8-39

:+1: Nice!

Hi all, digging up this thread.
Did the firmware update fix the issue? What battery life is being seen now?
I’ll buy a Smarthings hub to update my contact multipurpose sensors if it’s worth it.

Device firmware update worked like a champ. Since July (when my battery was at 85% according to my post above), I'm only down to 71% now (and this sensor is in a cold garage).

Thanks, I’ll see if I can find a cheap hub

Yea, it's nice to have even if you don't need it for the firmware updates. I use it for isolating misbehaving devices when issues come up. I was replacing the battery on my multipurpose sensor on the dryer every month or so. Looks like it should last about a year now after the version 14 firmware update. The firmware update it's self will eat up about 20% of the battery though. Just something to keep in mind when updating them.

1 Like

@lewis.heidrick what is current version? Where would 14 be listed? This is what my hub reports:

1 Like

0B is hex for 11
14 is the current version. I just paired one to make sure it's still the latest.

1 Like

Thank you @Pantheon and @lewis.heidrick, I will get mine updated. Mine has had an odd issue after replacing the battery that it will keep going active on its own constantly and drain the battery. If I click configure it stops and works correctly. A few weekends ago I converted it to 2 AA batteries since it’s on the back of the dryer out of sight.

1 Like

Just curious if you did the updating and more particularly, did you have a ST Hub beforehand and if not was it much of a song & dance getting that set up JUST to do the firmware upgrade on the devices.

I have exactly TWO of the ST Multi-purpose devices which serve some useful function...trying to decide if it's worth it.

Yes I was in SmartThings from 2014 - 2018 so have a v2 hub and used it to update the firmware. I have zero devices in my account but just plugged in the hub, downloaded the new app and added the device. I had to remind myself what I was doing but it wasn't bad. The good thing with Zigbee is you can reset the device itself and leave things alone on HE and then pair it again afterwards.

1 Like