Safety setup for autistic son (help plz)

Very helpful video. I like the idea of the lights in my room coming on. I will add this to my plan.

Understand your wanting local. You should understand that Ring doesn't put a stress on WiFi. The Ring hub (both Version 1 and Version 2) communicate with its devices via Z-Wave, not WiFi. The connection between the sensors and the Ring hub is local. The connection to your network is only for notifications, and the amount of data for those notifications is very small. In fact, the Ring Alarm will continue to function even when the internet is offline because it also includes free cellular backup. So if your internet goes offline, it will automatically switch to cellular and then back to your home network when internet is restored. There is no extra cost for that cellular backup.

I was not aware that ring was zwave. That is good to know. I might add the door bell in to my setup. And I will also look at cost from one system to the other. But I think the HE will have more growth potential. Will not just rule it out till I look everything over.

1 Like

There's no question that HE can do immensely more than the Ring Alarm hub can do and is compatible with MANY more devices than the Ring hub. Sounds like you're up for more than just the basics you described in your initial post.

Have fun, and welcome to the Hubitat Community!

I wish you luck with your setup.

A good friend of mine has 2 sons with Autism one of whom is now in college and doing well and the other is still at home and probably always will be. I cannot imagine the never ending stress and strain of such a situation.

My heart and respect goes out to all you guys and gals fighting the good fight!!!

4 Likes

Also, since the Ring devices are z wave, many can be paired directly to the HE hub (i think the C7 is needed for the v2 ring devices).

The Gen 1 Keypad and the Gen 2 Keypad, Contact and Motion need a C-7

All other Gen 1 devices are compatible with all the HE hubs.

If you mean can HE get Alexa to speak text to voice, yes, using:

1 Like