S2 Doesn't show in routes in zwave table

I added 3 Aeotec Sensor 7's today. The adds seem successful with S2...the add app reported no issues or a failure of any kind. Tonight, when I look at the zwave table...only one shows S2 and the other two show none.

I'm assuming the "none" is true? What's up? Any ideas? Is this common?

Yes

If S2 handshake fails it can include without security.

3 Likes

And the add routine gives you no warning? Guess I know to double check every time now. I have about 100 things to move over.

Thanks!

If you can bring the device closer to the hub it will help, also start with devices close to the hub and move out so the further devices can find good routes. They will use repeaters even when pairing.

1 Like

Thanks. I try to always bring anything battery powered close to add things. Use your second idea too. I've had some issues with these and since I was on Homeseer (S2 is not really a thing), it's also likely the DSK on the tube they fit in could have just had new HW slipped in. Didn't care with Homeseer and probably just let it slip.

(PS - Just learning, but don't recall see a message that the DSK failed. Is there one? That would be handy)

I also use these on outside wooden gates too and even in Denver they work great... once I learned to not even put the cap on and seal them off with electrical tap.

I'm always amazed at the lack of outside devices.

Not sure, I think it just fails.

Usually the DSK is also printed on the device or on a sticker, on the device, that is your best bet if the boxes are possibly switched around.

For new devices I keep the DSK code from the box and write on it what it is. One day I am going to just take photos of them and archive it on dropbox or something instead.

Ya…in this case the issue may be that there are two parts. A plastic tube with the DSK on the bottom of it …you drill a hole in a door …slide in the tube …then slide in the electronics.

IE you can swap the electronics with any tube when working on them…in mass or simply replacing electronics that died.

I now keep a spreadsheet;-)

If the DSK is unknown, it can be discovered using this method previously posted in the forum:

1 Like

Wow...learning a lot here. Thanks...will give this a shot once I get a little further along adding a few things I know the DSK's for.

I'm confused by a few posts saying this is only a 700 series feature. I thought it started in the 500 timeframes.

From the tech team at another hub product...

Which devices support S2?
Any new device released after April 2 2017 MUST support S2. There are exceptions. Code space in the 500 series Z-Wave chip is limited when S2 is added so some complex devices may not have S2 support.

Maybe referring to the 700 series Hubitat Hub, the C7, which has the 700 series radio/Z-Wave stack. @bertabcd1234 posted a good C5 vs. C7 summary here:

1 Like

Is this still possible on a C8 where you only get to select with or without Secuity? Any idea?

No, this has not been possible on any hub model for a while now. It is also not the method described in the linked post, which does not involve Hubitat at all.

2 Likes