Rules stopped working, logs won't load. Reboot didn't help

I woke up this morning to find that none of my rules will run anymore. I tried to check the logs, but that page never loads. I can activate switches in my dashboard, but anything that runs a rule will not work. Either the current Rule machine or the Legacy Rule machine. Individual device pages don't seem to load either. I rebooted the hub, but nothing changed.

The Diagnostic tool says I'm running 2.2.9.129, but I'm pretty sure I updated to 2.2.9.130.

I reverted back to 2.2.9.128 and that seems to be working.

Is there a problem with the latest update 2.2.9.130?

Was smooth for me. The changes from 2.2.9.129 to .130 don't seem particularly heavy.

I wonder if something just went wrong with the update for me. I realized I had a more recent backup from this past Friday which I hadn't had a chance to move into my server folder, so I think I'll try restoring that, then try the update again.

Yeah the other thing I was gonna suggest, just because it seems to fix all sorts of things, is do the upgrade, then do a backup, followed by a soft reset and restore. If it makes a mess of things you can always downgrade and do a restore from an older backup.

3 Likes

Now, the update page doesn't finish loading. It's hanging on 'Checking for Update'. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

A reboot, and now the update is loading. I’ll see what happens after that.

With all these issues I kinda wonder if you have another underlying problem... will be curious to see how it goes.

1 Like

It's back up and running, version 2.2.9.130, the rules are working, and I was able to load the logs page.

I didn't do the soft reset yet, the message scares me a little. What does a soft reset do? I did make a fresh backup after I updated to 2.2.9.130, but I don't think I have never done a soft reset before.

Yeah it's a little scary. Here's what I THINK it does...

It keeps your radio databases (i.e. paired devices) INTACT but otherwise wipes the hub and returns you to a state before you set it up in the first place. No rules, apps, or devices (though the devices are still paired to the radios, you just can't see them). You have to go through the first few steps of setting up the hub as new, but then you can restore from a backup and poof - everything returns to the way it was. At least that's what has happened when I've done it.

When you do a backup, the database backup is cleaned of corruption and compacted. When you do the soft reset and restore, the cleaned database is restored, thus getting rid of any corruption that might have been there prior to the backup. That's why the backup-soft-reset-restore is used to clean up database corruption, or a runaway database that keeps growing in size. Supposedly some of the enhancements made to 2.2.9 have improved the resilience of the database so maybe this won't really be a thing anymore?

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. I think I may just run it for a while to see if I have any issues and hope that it's good. I'm a little leary of that kind of reset, I have a bricked Sony Blu-Ray player because I tried to update it's firmware, following their instructions to a T (I had started burning the update disk on my Mac, but then decided to use a PC instead because that's the method their instructions used).

Don't blame you and I definitely wouldn't do it if things seem to be humming. I am definitely of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. The first time I did it I thought I was deeply screwed when the thing asked me for a hub name and zip code. But it did work and since then I've done it a bunch of times when my database size has started to take off.

@brad5 got you covered. Soft Reset simply removes the main database (that contains drivers, rules, custom code, settings) allowing you to restore a backup (compressed version of previously running database). Key point here, is that it doesn't reset the radios, so without restoring a backup, ALL devices become "stranded" (still connected to the radio but without a driver).

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

2 Likes

That is expected if you don't restore a backup. Once you see the "Get Started" screen, scroll down and click restore, to avoid redoing the settings. But even if you do enter the get started, and set a new name and zip code, you can still go to "Backup and Restore" and load a backup that will overwrite the new name and zip code entered.

1 Like

Aha! Thanks for the tip! I never scrolled down. That would be almost like reading the documentation. I clicked through the first few steps and when I got the UI up I did a restore. Should I have to do it again I'll scroll down and save a few steps.

1 Like