Rule to unlock lock with phone presence

Hi is there still an auto unlock rule that works with a zwave smart lock and phone geofence?
John

Pretty straightforward to do with basic rules or RM... this uses a virtual presence sensor but as long as your phone is listed as a presence device it will work.

Perfect thank you I'll give it a try I also use 360 on our phones this can also be added?
John

1 Like

Sure can. There's both a built-in integration and a really nice community written one by @bptworld. I've used Bryan's and it works great (though I don't use life360 anymore).

Thank you exactly what I'm looking for. Last question is there any restrictions or will it work in any area I'm in Canada. I've been with the smarting's hub but the restriction are a little much now and in the process of moving over to Hubitat.
John

You've got me stumped there. I'm not sure what the restrictions would be, except maybe the Life360 cloud service is restricted somehow and they only allow API calls from specific countries. I did a quick search in that life360 thread for "Canada" and didn't get any hits.

Surely this all goes without saying, but I'd feel bad if I didn't mention it... bad guys who grab your phone can pretty swiftly determine where you live, and the last thing you need after a theft is for your home to open itself to intruders. I come from a sketchy part of L.A. and tend to think along those lines for my family's safety. You do you, of course!

But given what we know about the flakiness of smartphones and location-based tracking, there's also a chance your rule may fire even while you're at home (when a GPS glitch marks you as "Away" and then "Home" again), whereupon once again, your door may unlock at unintended times.

Off soapbox now. Be safe!

4 Likes

You raise excellent points and I should have mentioned those. Thanks!

If you switch to RM you could create a rule that said something like "if I am away for at least an hour and then I return, unlock the door, but only do it during the day" or something like that. But that's a little more complex. And doesn't prevent a stolen phone from unlocking your house!

1 Like

IS there a sketchy part of Canada?

1 Like

Take a look at the Auto Lock app by @lewis.heidrick, available in HPM. It's got all sorts of cool features and one of them will unlock based on presence.

Ok thanks for the input. I was running rboy's lock app without a hitch until the recent changes on smarting's and this was because smarting had a restriction on the auto unlock feature for Canada and it would not work without the rboy app. Lol thinks there is sketchy area's all over. I will thanks I been checking in quite a bit and purchased one of your hubs and will be looking for a second to have a mesh system.
John

Could it be some sort of Canadian safety regulation?

Yes it was

So smarting's said, it work at first then they made the change a few years ago and disabled that feature.
John

There are lots of commercially available locks that use BLE or something similar to do the same thing. Wonder if they are also illegal in Canada - or sold without that feature. In any case I would proceed with caution @DubbyDad suggests. Best of luck!

1 Like

Will do thanks for all the input.

1 Like

Amazon made the same command decision with regard to (dis)allowing Alexa to unlock door locks by voice request. Sure, there are fairly simple work-arounds, but it's one of those "Oops, didn't think this through" areas where (at least as far as corporate liability is concerned) "better safe than sorry" prevails.

1 Like

Thank you DubbyDad your point is well taken and I will give it some serious thought before proceeding with that feature, all in all it's time to try a new format and the Hubitat hub I also like what I have been seeing on this site lots of information, help and very versatile.
John

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.