Rule repository?

Is there a movement to create an RM repository? It is a very, very popular thing with WebCORE and pistons. Now that Import and Export is (Beta) supported, it would be fantastic to have such an option.

I'm sure many would be proud to show off their automation mastery.

Anything ?

This hasn't seen any posts in a while and pre-dates the import/export feature, but it was created with that goal in mind:

Otherwise, people here tend to be helpful if you ask, so don't be afraid to just try that. :slight_smile: Or try searching for a similar rule (or use a built-in app if it meets your needs instead) to see if someone has already made something that would work.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I searched Repository and nothing showed as very relevant. This is a good one.
Sad that it it has not grown that much... I guess there is no real interest in sharing after all. If you've ever seen the WebCore one, you'd understand. Ah well.

on the contrary. a lot of automations are created using the other apps, and RM is usually left as a last resort. most of the time those rules are applicable to that individual scenario, so it wouldn't make much sense to post the rule if a person isn't trying to accomplish the same thing.

on the other hand, things like simple automations or motion lighting stuff is all over, and those have a bunch of shares (as they are more adaptable). i don't think there's a central repository of them, but definitely tons of posts with different scenarios in the forums

1 Like

I had forgotten about this, and posted a pair of simple rules after reading your post today. The thread seems to have sat idle for a year. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I understand. Hopefully this should encourage the Hubitat folks to breath new life in RM. Or will they let WebCORE take over... It runs as yet another process on the Hubitat hardware, another step... Doesn't RM deserve better? A rich library of success using RM would be of great value, seriously.

1 Like

Can I be a contrarian for a second?

Most of the time, Motion Lighting or Simple Automations should be used instead of Rule Machine. At least in my case, my RM rules are very specific to a situation or problem I had to solve. I don't think most of my rules would apply to most people, if they apply to anyone at all.

So I don't see the value of sharing rules that are so specific to my particular situation. And Simple Automations are so straightforward, there really isn't much value of sharing those either.

The sample RM rules are more helpful to seeing a "pattern" or template of what you are supposed to do in my opinion. Not to directly import and use.

The only thing I can think of that might be of use for sharing are if you are building a rule for someone who cannot grasp Rule Machine, or to post it here for diagnostic purposes.

Again, just my opinion, I am sure others think differently about this topic.

4 Likes