Rule not working consistently

I've been home all day and haven't left the house. Same all week (I work from home).

That's a good idea about the rule I'll change the condition

Why is this?

Because the rule essentially fires once. It's just a trigger. Even though it's true for the entire period it would have to fire repeatedly for that whole time.

not sure I explained that well...

1 Like

Something has to call the rule to run and be evaluated. When you set up a time window like this, it effectively schedules the rule to be evaluated at 4:45pm and 6:00pm. It's not continuously evaluated. The 4:45 run will result in the rule being true, and the 6:00 run will result in the rule being false, and actions are executed accordingly.

Should the wording of the rule change? That doesnt seem right that if I select between these two times, it only evaluates at the beginning and end.

Edit: seems to be functioning as a trigger, triggering at beginning and end only.

just for reference here are the system logs showing the mode changes

No, the rule is true throughout that period. Rules are only evaluated by events in your system. If this condition were in a rule with another condition, it's truth would apply between those two times. But any rule is only evaluated when the state of one of its conditions changes. The state of that condition only changes when it starts and ends.

This might help:

You need to look at the app status page for that rule, and see what scheduled jobs it has and if they are right. Also, look at Logs using past logs, and see what the rule did at 4:45. It would have logged something if it ran.

Is this the status page you're talking about?

Yes, that's it. And you can see the two scheduled events. One for today at 6:00 and one for tomorrow at 4:45, as expected. So now you need to look at Logs, Past Logs, and look for "Kitchen Weekday" in the list at the top of the page, and click on it. It will show the log entries the rule has made.

Sorry I should have attached that earlier. It looks like the rule triggered but evaluated as false today. Ran yesterday and evaluated as True. Just not sure why it was false today

What release are you on?

So the rule fired at 4:45. What type of device is the light being turned on? Odds are this is a device issue, not a rule issue. Look at the logs for that time for the device, or look at the device events from the device page.

At the time of the rule firing I was on 1.17 I think. IWhen I went in to check the logs initially I upgraded to the most recent. There are 5 zig bee Cree connected daylight bulbs that are grouped together in hubitat, but they’re connected via Phillips hue. I was having a terrible time trying to get them connected to hubitat when i made the switch. Most would connect but they wouldn’t always turn off and on at the same time then they’d drop and lose connection with hubitat. They’ve been much more stable since I connected them to my hue bridge about a month ago. I have other rules that are functioning with the group with no issue. Here is the device event log from today. It looks like the off command ran at 6pm but nothing at 4:45.

Ah, as I suspected. The device never got a command, but I'd wager that RM sent one. There are lots of issues with Zigbee bulbs, although usually those behind a Hue bridge are better. If you want to do some testing, put some other device into that rule temporarily (in addition to the one that is there already). See if it comes on as expected. Or, create a virtual device and add that to the rule. Guaranteed it's not going to fail. This way you could confirm that the rule is working, and pinpoint where the failure is happening.

Thanks for your help. I’ve been trying to slowly get rid of zigbee devices as they always seem to be the weak link. Unfortunately, I don’t have a neutral wire on my 3 way switches in the kitchen, so I haven’t been able to get rid of the bulbs in favor of zwave switches.

I guess I need to start researching some zwave bulbs? I haven’t found a switch that will work without a neutral yet.

Lutron Caséta.

Thanks!! I’ll check it out

I’ll need the Lutron hub as well right? Hubitat won’t control it without the hub or will it?

Lutron SmartBridge Pro.

Thanks!!