Rule machine logic assistance

I'm trying to use a humidity sensor to control the exhaust fan in my bathroom.
I use one rule to turn it on, which works. Another rule to turn it off, which is causing a lot of unnecessary activity. Logs attached, it pretty much runs constantly.
My intention for the rule was, when humidity is less or equal to 65, AND the fan is already ON, turn it OFF.
Can someone please look at how I have this setup and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

One more thing that may be relevant...
If I set the fan to ON manually and check the rule, I would expect it to say "TRUE" since both conditions are true, but it says false.

That true and false isn't a live reading. It is just the state of things at the exact time you entered the rule. So it may or may not mean anything.

With a simple on/off like you have, you are bound to have many odd events. This is actually more complex to do than it appears, and just a "on at X and off at Y" will not work like you intend it to.

I would advise trying one or more of the various bath fan humidity apps that are available in the community. They do a much better job at managing humidity. The bath fan apps often use a rate of change rather than simple humidity triggers, or they smooth/average the trigger events to prevent false events. In any case, they are simpler and often more reliable than trying to do this all via rules.

1 Like

I'll take your advice and find an app, thanks.

As far as true/false, it seems live? My first screenshot says FALSE because the switch was off, then I turned it on and took my second screen shot and it says true. My issue was that even though both statements said true, it said false in the header.... if that all makes sense.

The other thing you need to realize (and I just looked closer at your screenshots here) is that conditions is just a pool of things that you can use. Conditions are not part of the rule unless you expressly put them into the actions section of the rule.

So those conditions you have listed are not doing anything for you currently.

You probably should look at the documentation or the tutorial videos for a deeper dive into conditions.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Rule-4.0

Look here. I have this installed with the default settings and love how it works.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.