Rule Machine Legacy

I noticed that during one of the last updates that Rule Machine is now named Rule Machine Legacy. I know that we have "Simple Automation Rules" and "Basic Rules". I hope that the tagging of Rule Machine as legacy does not mean that it is going away. Does anyone have an understanding of this relabeling?

My bad. I just read the answer here: New App Features in 2.2.8

2 Likes

Theres a thread about it. They redesigned RM, going forward any new rules should be made in there, but the legacy version is not going away so all your existing rules are fine and staff said there is no reason to rewrite them in the new version.

1 Like

Hub platform updates are always accompanied by a post from staff with release notes:

3 Likes

the legacy version is not going away

Rule Machine Legacy will continue to be available until release 2.2.9, so in the interim it is possible to create either Rule-4.1 rules or Rule 5.0 rules. We encourage you to move to using the new Rule Machine and Rule 5.0 going forward.

That phrasing is somewhat confusing, I agree--but what they mean is that Rule Machine Legacy will remain available for new installs until 2.2.9, meaning that in 2.2.8 you can create new Rules as either 5.0 or 4.1. Existing installations will continue to function indefinitely going forward, just like all previous Rule versions have--so there is no reason to move away if you don't want to (both staff and some community members have rules dating all the way back to the original version). But then in 2.2.9, you will only be able to create new rules as Rule 5.0.

From that same thread:

2 Likes

I would like to know if this change broke my existing Mode rules for switching day, evening, night, away. Seems coincidental that they are not toggling now within the past month. (just noticed) Been trying to research and stumbled on this new vs legacy bit. All my rules are legacy....

It is much worse than that!

It is much worse than you think!!! You can NOT edit conditions for Legacy rules only delete and insert work. I will now have to 100% recreate any old 4.x rules. I wanted to change the time on one rule. It is now impossible. You are blocked,

Yeah, but you can not edit them either. Time to roll back to 2.2.8 !!!

They are wrong!! You can not edit "legacy" rules !!!! It also broke a few of my old legacy apps that no longer work. I am doing simple stiff too. Eg. if a light comes on after midnight then turn it off after 20 minutes. This rule NOW fails with no EDIT option.

Gong back to 2.2.8 so LEGACY APPS CAN BE EDITED.

You should be able to edit any Rule versions in 2.2.9 or any hub firmware version; the only thing changed was the ability to create new rules. Staff have Rules dating back to the original version, as do many community members, and they should all continue working (whether running or editing) indefinitely.

So, it definitely sounds like there is some problem on your hub--the community members above are correct, and I see that this is a frustrating issue. Should you feel like upgrading again to 2.2.9 and find that the problem re-appears, staff would probably be interested in working with you to figure out what's going on. I can say that if you aren't on the very current version, one or two of the previous hotfixes had issues with Rule Machine (though I think it only affected the current version), so that is one thing to consider.

3 Likes

Could you please show a screenshot of where you are blocked?

You can open any of your older rules from the Apps list page. And once you open one, the full functionality of that rule is presented. Nothing has changed in this regard.

3 Likes

These statements are not accurate. I just edited a RM legacy rule a few mins ago.

Please create a new thread to share details re: the problem you’re having so that the real underlying issue in your case can be identified, or consider opening a ticket with support.

1 Like

No pont in that, and please don't. They will just send you to me, but here I am.

3 Likes

You may be confused as i was a few times.. to edit conditions. you first click on the actions.. then on the bottom of the screen you will see a block create/manage conditions.

You click on that and then you can in the edit pull down change an condition.. after select "done with conditions" then refresh action list then done with actions.. then either done/update rule.. i can change my older 4.x rules fine.

1 Like

I know i'm late to the party... :slight_smile:

Is there any easy way to convert rules to the new version without having to go through and do it manually via the UI? I find that the UI is error prone, and i'm just about OCD enough that i would like to have all my rules in a single place.

Not really.

Too bad, it would have been helpful.

Old rules continue to work as they always did. It’s not that meaningful a distinction whether the rule is under the “Rule Machine” or “Rule Machine Legacy” apps list in the hub’s admin ui.

2 Likes