Rule machine is too confusing

hold up

We can make our Google devices play sound files? That would keep me from needing to buy a Z-wave alarm device.

there is a certain technical aptitude required to use the platform. maybe smart things is better for you? or wink and a subscription?

If you are that frustrated, that sounds like it would be for the best. Good luck with whatever alternative you choose to move forward with.

2 Likes

I think if capturing a screen shot that is more than a pagefull is beyond you then you should definitely move to a simpler platform. Or get yourself a proper phone. No charge for this advice.

3 Likes

If you email support@hubitat.com, I'm sure they can help you with your refund request. Also tagging @bobbyD.

4 Likes

Absolutely. My kitchen Google​ Nest Mini is a set of dogs on command when people approach my front door :rofl:

1 Like

I get the frustration.

But we don't know why your rule is failing or what the problem is due to you not helping us diagnose it.

A screenshot of the rule would help. Turning on logging, running the rule, and taking a screenshot is pretty much required in cases like this. So what if it takes two screenshots on the phone. Better yet, find a computer so it is easier to work with. Phones are fine for some things, but complex things are not the best use case for them.

And I don't see (unless I missed it) where you tried the sound from the Device Tab, and posted the results of that like bertabcd1234 suggested way earlier.

Last, did you try the Notification app like suggested earlier? Everyone seems to jump right to Rule Machine and it is not how most people should start out trying to automate stuff, no matter your skill level.

3 Likes

Ha ha ha. You should have read more.

1 Like

To be fair, Rule Machine is the hardest way to do things. It is meant to be used for very complex automations, and in situations where simpler apps won't work. You are trying to do something you are not ready for yet. You cannot go from bunny hill to skiing the Alps in a day.

None of us are official support. We are just trying to help each other out. Lashing out at people who are taking the time to try and help you isn't getting you any closer to fixing this.

Sometimes you just need to take 15 minutes, clear your head, and come back when you are ready to try some things to see where this rule is failing.

4 Likes

We all get the message that you're dissatisfied with the product and want a refund. Since you've made that decision, continuing this thread will only increase your annoyance.

As the hubs are currently out of stock, just put it on ebay, other auction sites are available, and you may even make a profit as people are desperate to get their hands on one.

2 Likes

Because its so very hard to use I'm sorry but I can only offer a fiver.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Just hang in there. RM is definitely daunting for new users. Especially non programmer. I was close to giving up a few times for sure but my mistake was not asking for help early on. This community is quite awesome for helping. It's 10x better than the documents in my opinion.
It's worth it at the end due to the reliable platform and community which you don't find anywhere else.

1 Like

If you're getting those beebs I would suggest your rule is working properly, stupid question but are you sure the mp3s are uploaded and work correctly. Try going to that location in browser to see if if loads or use the Google device to play track

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.