Rule machine how to flash lights?

I am trying to setup this rule to a bulb but can't seem to find a simple way to flash a bulb. I need to setup another rule just to flash a bulb and run on truth?
If
Mode : away
Motion : active

Action for True
With bulb 1
Setlevel : 80
Color : red
Flash : every 3 seconds

Actions for false
Turn off

I had to create a custom command for flash in rule machine.

1 Like

I'm just starting to play with custom commands now. What would a flashing custom command look like?

If I was at home I'd screenshot, but if you go to rule machine, there is create new rule, trigger, and then below that is custom command. After you select custom command, it will have you select a device and then the commands that device supports.
Once you save your custom command, you can use it on rules.

This is not quite what I am looking for because bulb driver doesn't support flash so it won't work with custom command.
How about just on/off every 2 seconds?

I am having the same problem. I am trying to create a rule that will throw itself into a loop using delayed actions. I am using a virtual switch to control it, even still I am always weary of loosing control of a loop.

I created a virtual switch and a rule to get a device to flash. I'm still working on the delays to get the perfect cycle.

That could probably work with a virtual device but I think you need to set another rule to stop the loop. I guess I will play with virtual device.

When I turned the virtual device off the conditions of the rule were no longer met and the device stopped flashing.

Not so simple for me since my mode is away and motion active. I have to create another rule to monitor motion inactive and turn off virtual switch. Total 3 rules. I guess I will stick with webcore for now. Thanks for the option.

None of my lights/switches/outlets support flash and I wanted to use the flash lights feature of HSM. So I created a rule to flash specific lights, tested it, and it works great.
Hope this helps someone else, the key is to repeat action and to select toggle lights.

2 Likes

PERFECT!! the only way to flash my lights to confirm if they gone automatic or not as I wanted. Only one thing to add:
If you use the same light to confirm/flash and you want to keep it in the state before flash just give a pair number of toggle (2, 4...)

Anybody getting an error when trying to use the repeat function in a rule? I get this:

Error: Cannot invoke method tokenize() on null object

Did you update to the latest release?

Hi bravenel I understood Update 2.09 is released but my hub still on 2.0.8.113 and when I hit Update is saying "No updates available". Do I missunderstood this?

Reboot the hub then try again.

1 Like

Thank you vjv!!! that solved the issue.

1 Like