Rule Machine for outside lights?

Hello all.

Very new to rule machine and I am looking for assistance in how I would go about having my smart bulbs change color based on a date, IE I want the bulbs to turn on Orange on Halloween. I Want to set the rule up once and have it run year over year because I am too lazy to turn the rule on and off every year. I am sure once I get this one done, I am going to have to Christmas and so on. I am very new to rule machine but i read this can be done. Is there a best way to go about this and how would I need to set up the rule. I have played around with it but I seem to be missing something. Do I need to use expressions? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

If you can get rule machine to turn the bulbs orange, then itā€™s fairly straightforward. The trigger would just be time of day. You would then use a required expression of October 31 and it will run on that date every year.

With the above said, Iā€™d recommend looking at [Release] Holiday Lighting if you are thinking about multiple different holidays.

2 Likes

You can also use between dates as a condition for an action to run.

Another vote for using Holiday Lighting instead of Rule Machine.
It will do exactly what you describe you want.