Rule Machine control of Thermostat Scheduler

Having Away set EcoMode to on is just an option. It can be turned on/off by RM.

Can we use multiple schedules for all the seasons?

Within Thermostat Scheduler itself, no, it has a single schedule. Using RM to change it, yes, you could change it per season.

I had some difficulty related to the topic of this thread, so I am posting my experience. I use dashboard tiles (via Rule Machine v5) to change any one of these seven settings on TS: wake/night times, night heat/cool temps, wake heat/cool temps, and TS Hold. I created seven hub variables (4 decimal types, 2 date/time types, and one boolean). I made a single rule in RM that is triggered by a change in any of the seven variables. The action of the rule is to set the appropriate settings in TS, using the seven hub variables.

I tried different approaches to implement the above, and ran into issues. What worked: I configured TS to read the hub variables directly; and then the sole action in my rule is the "Activate Scheduled Setpoints" in the TS.

Alternatively, what did not work, I tried to use the RM to set each setpoint in TS, using the hub variables. I configured TS with static values, with the intent that the rule action would replace those values. I got poor results:

1. I got errors (ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1 on line 1343) in my logs when the rule action used the date/time hub variables to set the wake and night times.

2. Even when using static time values, I did not see evidence that the TS was getting updated as I expected. This test was done during the Wake period: When I changed the Wake Time or Wake cool/heat temps, I did see that the Wake Time and the Wake Cool/Heat Temps were modified and shown changed in TS as expected. However, when I changed the Night Time or Night cool/heat temps, I did NOT see that the Night Time and the Night Cool/Heat Temps were shown changed in TS. But then, oddly, if I clicked into the TS edit area for changing the heating/cooling schedule, and then click Done w/o making edits, then the TS configuration displays the revised Night Time, but still not showing the revised Night Cool/Heat temps.

3. I tried putting a hold on the TS while the setpoints were changed, but that did not change my poor results.

My Dashboard

Hub variables:

Rule that worked:

TS Configuration that worked:

Rule that did not work:

TS Configuration that did not work:

Thanks for this post. Evidently the implementation of variable time in RM controlling Thermostat Scheduler is deficient. We will get this fixed for the next release.

2 Likes

I am trying out TS with a T6 pro and TController, and so far they are working great!
Can't wait to dump my ecobee 5 and get this LOCAL controlled stat deployed.
One question..
I plan on using a tablet dashboard to display and manual control TC (hide the T6), and when I change the heating/cooling setpoints, I know, if I don't HOLD TS, that the setpoints will update at the next schedule time.
IF I change the setpoints, but want to return to the normally scheduled program (setpoints), clicking on SET SCHEDULED SETPOINTS will do this:

How would I accomplish this using a virtual button on a dashboard? I am at a loss as to how to create a dashboard item for TS.

Rule Machine can do this. So you'd have a small rule triggered by the virtual button, that in turn "pushes" the Set Scheduled Setpoints button of Thermostat Scheduler.

1 Like

Thank you Bravenel.
That will work!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.