Rule Machine 4 : Multiple Time Triggers not working

I have a rule that I want to run 7 times a day at specific times. I set up a trigger in the obvious way: "when time is X OR when time is Y OR ..."

The problem is that the rule does not trigger on all of these times, only on some of them. I am not 100% sure but I think it's consistent about what times it triggers and what times it doesn't. For example, the first trigger in the list (7AM) hasn't fired for the last couple of days.

Any tips on how to get this working?

I would suggest posting a screenshot of your rule and people can advise from there.

The rule should post to the log as its first action, but it doesn't do anything (nor do any of the sub-actions get processed) when the trigger fails.

Basically, this rule sets some globals to represent the electricity rate state (Peak, post-evening peak, and pre-morning peak) which other rules can use to make decisions. The DayTypes rule sets the Summer and Weekend booleans; it is also run once a day and on reboots, but this rule runs it out of pure paranoia. Finally, the FROG Boil rule decides how to update the state of the AC in our FROG; it also runs on timed triggers but again, I run it here out of paranoia.

I could change this script to simply run every 5 minutes or so but that seems inefficient.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I checked the gear-icon data for the rule, and it shows only 3 pending trigger events, not the 7 you would expect given the trigger events set.

I then changed one of the "dead" trigger events from 7:00 AM to 7:01 AM.

No change in the pending trigger events, but now any attempt to access the list of trigger events in order to edit them generates an exception.

"java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Integer cannot be cast to java.lang.String on line 647 (selectTriggers)"

And yes, I've tried turning it off and on again. :slight_smile:

There is obviously something going wrong. At this point, I would recommend to delete the rule and re-create it.

Or, for shits and giggles you could create a second rule that has the trigger of 7am and runs the actions of this rule:

I had the exact same problem. Had 7 triggers for specific times and the schedule only showed 3. I deleted the rule and created a new one and now I see all 7 triggers.

1 Like

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Hubitat, so feel free to tell me why what I'm doing is dumb, but if I had created this rule I would have done it slightly differently.

I would have set the trigger to be a 'periodic schedule' set to fire every 1 minute. Then I would have nested all of your current actions within an IF-THEN statement with your trigger times as conditions. This way you know for sure that your rule will be checked every minute.

I wonder if converting your rule to follow my logic would have any effect on the missed triggers. These people talking about exceptions sound like they know far more than I do.

Good luck!

i have the exact same issue. i have triggers at 10 different times of the day and it only schedules and triggers 1

Can you show your rule and your rule's properties screen?

i already pulled the at a certain time triggers out and replaced them with a every x minutes trigger, i think. The scheduler showed only 1 time out of 10, but yea - like the other guy, the rule was too bulky and not useful enough to recreate from scratch.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.