Rule Machine 4.0 deleted actions remain

Yeah, I learned about those awhile back and it's one of the first things I check when one of my rules goes south.

I'm going to try solving the problem or at least testing it again by setting up a new rule that just turns off the TV at a different time for sanity's sake and hopefully that will catch it or just do it's job of turning the TV off if it's still on. Wasn't supposed to be that complicated after all but of course sometimes it ends up that way.

Now I can focus on my own driver though, since I'm trying to build a new Rainbird API that talks to the Wifi module for that irrigation controller first and then a new driver for Hubitat that will allow it to control it.

1 Like

Or, make use of modes as you can then restrict when things are allowed to turn on/off. For instance, in nearly every one of my rules, I check for "Mode is Home - Overnight" as a condition (which gets set when my wife and I go to bed via a virtual switch flipped by Alexa). If that condition is true, no switches get turned on except for a small handful of lights around the house.

Ya I tried that initially but that adds into the complexity. I am setting a mode and the original RM 4.0 rule was setting "Night" mode for me and turning off all the lights and the TV. I had it also scheduled at 1 AM to trigger if not in "Night" mode already. I'm just trying to start simple and debug it slowly until I get what I want.

Edit: I should mention that when the bug first appeared, I didn't have logging on everything which is why I'm hoping to reproduce it this time around if it does occur since I'll actually have logging on the rule and all the devices involved.

1 Like

That's the best path really. It took me about 3 months to get my modes where I needed them to be. Granted, I have 16 different modes now, but it finally works (and makes my IF statements crazy). LOL

You don't have to. Logging for RM rules is always available (even if not turned on) in the Settings Cog > Events. Always.

Hmm well if that's the case then the outcome this time around may not be different. I guess the next step might be to to try to reproduce it on the TV with it's own RM rule as I was hoping the logging increase would catch it. I never saw RM 4.0 log a turn on at 1 AM despite those switch turn on events you see from my logs. In fact I'm at a loss as to what actually triggered it, because I certainly wasn't turning it on manually. Whatever the cause of it, I only feel more crazy now hehehehe.

1 Like

A certain level of craziness is a requirement for anyone dealing with home automations... welcome to the club....

2 Likes

I'd look at your other rules to see if something else is triggering it. I've never had an experience where something just spontaneously turns on without a rule or app being involved with it.

WHAT!!! :open_mouth:

LOL, why do you think I took the moniker of "Mr. Mode"? I have 12 just dealing with Home/Away (Home - Morning, Away - Morning, etc) and then 5 others for things like parties (Home - Party) or when a guest is house-sitting for us (Guest - Morning, Guest - Afternoon, Guest - Night, Guest - Overnight).

Crap, correction: I have 17 modes lol.

1 Like

There are a few different Roku app/drivers on here. One of them I did experience some odd random behavior with a few months back, I just switched to using this one.

Probably should have contacted then the developer of the other one (which I don't remember now which one it was) about the problems.

But the one above I don't have any issues with and it's just the driver only. I don't need the app part or child devices the other one had.

1 Like

Keep it up and you'll need a mode to know which mode to go to......

1 Like

I haz Mode Manager for that. :slight_smile: (and a metric crap ton of rules governing Guest modes lol).

[Edit: Should I start a thread called "How many modes is too many modes"? :wink:

4 Likes

You might want to consider what could trigger the TV independently outside of HE. What other signal sources might trigger something. Something that might issue a CEC on, an odd IR source, a network wakeup??
We have a TV in the kitchen that folds up to the ceiling when not in use. There was a period of time when the TV just turned on while folded up. It ended up being a streaming device connected to the TV that was randomly turning on and triggering the TV to come on via CEC.

1 Like

Yep, I thought of this and hadn't mentioned it. I made sure to check Alexa Routines as well since I had the TV shared that way through Hubitat but it wasn't in any routines I have there. Ya it really messes with ya if you can't find out where it's being triggered from :slight_smile:

I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing this issue. I had a rule set up in rule machine quite a while ago and i ended up deleting it and switching to simple automation.

I have a hallway light that turned on every night at 9:30 pm and off at 7:30 am. I realized that the simple automation wasn't fully working when i tried to change it to turn on at 8pm and off at 8am and it still runs at original time.

Edit: corrected time

The log just says hallway turned on and off. Is there a way to clear the memory without defaulting the hub. I even deleted rules machine completely since i didn't have any rules really that i can't recreate.

Take a break from this. There are not zombie rules in your system. Show your list of apps, show the app that doesn't work as expected. Look at its App Status page for Scheduled Jobs at the bottom. Did you hit Done for the app after changing it? If not, you didn't fully change it.

Revisit this issue tomorrow. If you're still having issues I will help you sort them out.

1 Like

It won't let me attach photo of apps. Says im not able to attach media

Now when i check under the device it shows 2 simple rules that i thought deleted but they aren't showing up in list. I went in and edited that rule to my times i wanted and now it shows up in the list of apps.
I had checked the device and it was only showing Amazon echo integration and dashboard in the in use by, when i was watching this for the last few days.
Yes I'm hitting done when editing a rule and just going out of the rule.

Just to be clear on how I solved this myself since I wasn't anticipating this coming up again. I eventually just completely removed the rule from RM and recreated it all from scratch. Then the bugs just disappeared because none of the original logic was still baked in regardless of how RM deletes or removes rules and logic for them.

Since then I haven't had a single issue, but I also don't spend all day deleting rules, steps, conditionals, or anything else so there's really no chance to reproduce it for me. So it may be the bug was eventually fixed if it ever existed. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that I don't currently experience this potential bug anymore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.