Rule Help -

Hey guys. I'll apologize in advance for being so dense as to not figure this out. Hobbyist. But, I am up and running with 50 or so sensors and simple automations work fine. I was more than proficient with webcore but not so much with RM.

PROBLEM: Turn on flood lights with motion from any of a discrete group of sensors when Lux is less than 3000.

METHOD:

RESULT: The lights come on with motion regardless of Lux value.

I'm sure this is simple but feeling romantic. Can someone hold my hand?

Thanks!

(Side note: @bravenel, I think it's the visual context of webcore's graphical interface that makes the difference there for me.)

That looks right to me (or at least that part--I'm not sure this is really the rule you want, though). Maybe turn on logging when you think it shouldn't turn on and see what it says is happening?

But back to your rule: as-is, it will then your lights off after 3 minutes even if motion is still active. In fact, that timer never gets canceled, so it will also effectively turn them off in one second if you set off a motion sensor 2 minutes and 59 seconds after your first (and with any in the middle, you'll still have a backlog of "off"s).

There's a simple motion lighting example in the RM4 docs, which I'd recommend reading. All you'll have to do is add your lux logic where you see fit. Alternatively, you may wish to consider using the built-in Motion Lighting app instead--no need to make things harder than they need to be by using RM when you don't need to. It can handle everything you want to do here plus a bit more.

Thanks @bertabcd1234. I agree with your assessment. In lieu of a better way on this first pass, I went forward thinking even when the lights turn off they would not be restricted from re-triggering with new or continued motion (though, as you alluded to, there might be an unmonitored period in there).

I agree with keeping it simple. But, simple didn't work for me. I started with the Motion Lighting App and when it didn't honor Lux nor sunrise/sunset, I moved on to RM. My Motion Lighting app code:

Please let me know if this one looks off but otherwise, I'll do some more reading.

Thanks again!

That one looks good to me, too. For sunrise and sunset, you may want to make sure your hub location is set correctly. But nothing I see would explain why your lux isn't working in either case, unless by chance it's fluctuating around your threshold of 3000 (logging in RM or Motion Lighting, which I see you have enabled for at least the latter, might help you see what it thinks is going on).

Maybe someone else can see something that I'm missing here...