Rule for currently raining

I have a rule to open my garage door when I open my back door. I would like for it not to open when it rains. I have a weather station, and I am trying to create a WATO rule, but there is nothing for current rainfall.

You've posted this in the Basic Rules category, but you appear to be using a custom app (WATO, I assume, though what you've posted is not Basic Rules or any built-in app as far as I can tell). The best support would be through the developer, though it looks like he hasn't been on the forums in over a year, so I'm not sure if he is still around or if the app is still being worked on in any way.

If your "rule" is Rule Machine or Basic Rule, there are likely ways to do what you want. If they're not but you want to use one of those options instead, the same is true. Not sure about the app in your screenshot, unless there is the ability to use custom attributes, which is probably how your station driver reports this data (maybe there is? there are some non-standard attributes in that list, but I am not familiar with the app).

I think there are many people who haven't spotted Basic Rules and Simple Rules as apps and think it just means "uncomplicated automations". I often don't know what people mean when they first post "I am writing a simple rule to do x" until clarified they are using RM 5.1!

It would make life easier if each post about rules or apps began "Using [app name] I am trying to..."

1 Like

In general, if your automation involves anything other than the standard capabilities (switch, contact, motion, etc.), you’re usually better off using Rule Machine instead of Basic Rules or Simple Rules:

This is a pretty old app created by a community developer. I’m not sure if it’s still supported by the dev. And it was released at a time when Hubitat had more limited options for creating automations with built-in apps.

I would suggest sticking with one of the built-in apps if possible, probably Rule Machine as suggested by others, since it looks like you want to use a custom attribute in your rule logic.