Rule 4.0 bug?

This is a rule to notify me if the garage door has been left open. The problem is it sometimes notifies me even after the door is closed. What am I doing wrong?

Select Trigger Events
Garage Door changed OR Motion Garage 1, Motion Garage 2 any changed

Select Actions to Run
IF (Garage Door open(F) AND Motion Garage 1, Motion Garage 2 all inactive(T) [FALSE]) THEN Notify Pushover Siren and Speak on Speaker: 'Garage door has been open for 10 minutes' --> after a delay of 0:10:00 (cancel)

You need an else and an action to cancel the delay actions.

1 Like

JasonJoel beat me to it. But I do have this to add, an example from Bruce, if it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks. You said it better than I did.

The main point is that the action with cancel just means that it CAN be cancelled. If you want to actually cancel it, it needs to be manually cancelled - it doesn't happen automatically. This is a little different than it worked with truth states in rm 3.

Thanks. I'll try that. I actually have a few rules like this that weren't cancelling.

Is this what I need?

IF (Garage Door open(F) AND
Motion Garage 1, Motion Garage 2 all inactive(T) [FALSE]) THEN
Notify Pushover Siren and Speak on Speaker: 'Garage door has been open for 10 minutes' --> after a delay of 0:10:00 (cancel)
ELSE
Cancel Delayed Actions

It looks right to me.
I always include an end-if at the end, but I believe it is unnecessary if you have nothing else after it.

Technically not necessary, but it’s like a sentence without a

2 Likes

Without a what? Please tell me, I'm dying of anticipation....

1 Like