Blue Iris RTSP Feeds > Dashboard *Solved*

Hey all,

I just finished setting up a new surveillance system and got the RTSP feeds to my Hubitat dashboard. The RTSP feeds are just images (URL = http://192.168.1.10:81/image/FrontDoor?&session=3dfa561f61890a5c05221b250c7a0826&w=99999&q=85) set to a 1 sec refresh rate, and there is 8 total. Everything was working great last night. I went to show my Dad the progress and of course it decides to blow up. Basically, the the images just have a hard time loading. It works well for about 3-5 seconds and then it fails to keep up. If I switch the refresh rate to 5, that seems to help, but as I said, everything was working fine for hours at 1 sec. I would prefer the 1 sec if possible. Also, it ONLY fails on a phone and tablet. It works fine when viewing on my computer. There are so many points of failure here, I'm not sure what the solution could be.

I've checked my WiFi connection, its between 17-32 Mbps, which should be more than enough. I've restarted the hub. I've restarted my tablet and phone. I've restarted the WiFi on both devices. I'm waiting until later tonight to restart the routers. Is 8, 1 sec RTSP feeds too much for the hub to process? It's late, I'm tired, and would love everyone's suggestions.

P.S. - I have Hubitat Hub C-4 on Version 2.2.3.145

1 Like

What type of surveillance system is it? Maybe it's struggling to keep up with the load of the refreshes.

check out the post from @Angus_M Putting live video from (almost) any web/ip camera into your dashboard

It's an Amcrest NV4108E-HS - with 7 4K IP8M-2496EB-28MM cameras and 1 Amcrest SmartHome Video Doorbell. I just went into the camera settings and reduces the feed from 4k to 1080p, zero difference. Plus, it is working on my computer just fine. So I don't know.

I'll have to use this as a last resort :frowning: We purchased Blue Iris for this purpose (before I knew about this) I wonder how much better tinycam works

either can be used to send the websocket to HE.

Blue Iris is great, and it works. TinyCam requires mobile, so unless you have a spare phone/tablet or will run bluestacks, you can't run it on PC

So far I'm enjoying Blue Iris and technically it is working, its just only working 100% on my desktop. So far any device on WiFi can't keep up. My surface pro 2 gets 45 Mbps and can barely keep up. It's just weird that it was working fine on WiFi last night with out any issues.

Really depends on how many camera streams you have, and the bitrate of each camera. I like to allocate about 15Mbps per camera when I'm planning out a design. That could change though depending on the camera.

1 Like

It looks like this is a JPEG snapshot URL rather than RTSP - you might consider updating the topic title as you might get more feedback that way.

These look like axis-cgi style parameters which usually translate to:

• w is typically the width of the image
  • q is typically a JPEG quality between 0-100

You might try using a lower value for w for testing purposes. Depending on the internal implementation of the JPEG snapshot feature, the device may be trying to scale up each image to 99,999px wide with your current configuration. Using a large number like 99999 would needlessly increase CPU usage on the NVR as well and needlessly increase the size of the image.

Maybe start with something like w=1024 as a test.

Edit: Here's an old post of mine from the SharpTools community which more details:

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed information!

I went ahead and tried lowering the w value to 1024 and saw no change. I also changed the q value to 10 just to see, and that made no difference either. On top of all that, I also removed 7 of the 8 video images to see if that would make a difference, but still no change.

All it does is refresh the video image (which is fine), but the video goes away for 1 - 2 secs, then re-appears again for 1 second and repeats. If I have all 8 video images, then I'm lucky to even see the video at all. I don't get what changed from the night it was working, to now.

Is there a different method of doing this? Or is this the only way? My cameras don't support MJPEG.

Wait, is the URL you listed above from Blue Iris rather than directly from the Amcrest NVR?

The original title said RTSP, but the post is showing a link to an image snapshot URL, and initial replies mentioned the NVR model number but not Blue Iris? :thinking: :exploding_head:

1 Like

My apologies about the confusion. I fear this was a mixture of incorrectly used terminology and sleep deprivation.

In short, I have 7 Amcrest cameras connected to an Amcrest NVR via PoE. I also have one Amcrest Doorbell that's connected to the NVR via WiFi. The NVR then sends out RTSP feeds to my Blue Iris server.

From the Blue Iris Web UI, I used the "Copy Image Address" option on each camera to grab what I think is a snapshot of the live feed that is automatically refreshed to show the next frame? I'm not sure how that exactly works. This is the URL I was referring to in my OP.

In the Hubitat Dashboard, I created Image tiles and then pasted the "Copy Image Address" URL from BI into the Image URL field and then set the refresh rate to 1 second. Originally this was working just fine without any issues, for about 1.5 days. Then it broke, which lead me to this post.

I spent the entire day troubleshooting and I believe the problem was in the Image URL. I noticed the URL obtained from Blue Iris would change every time I would do the "Copy Image Address" option, even on the same camera. This made me think, if the URL is changing, then it may be glitching out Hubitat's ability to retrieve the image. So I deleted as much of the URL as I could till point of failure. This left me with http://192.168.1.10:81/image/camera name. Once I did that, all the camera images were and are now viewable 100% of the time and are refreshing without issue. I also did some encoding tweaks to get the best quality and most stable output as possible.

Thank you everyone who chimed in, I apologize about the confusion on my part.

4 Likes

TinyCam requires android, I have it running on an Nvidia Shield Pro and it works great, so its hooked up to my TV and also streams images out as well to be consumed by my shapertools.io dashboard.

Thanks for the update - glad to hear you got it working!

1 Like

With the url you are using the image only updates whenever the dashboard is refreshed. If you use http://192.168.1.10:81/mjpg/camera name you can get a live camera feed from BI.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I didn't know that! It looks like it only works with the doorbell. I don't think my other camera's support that, but no complaints here. The doorbell live feed is extremely useful. Thank you.

2 Likes

Since the cameras are all connected to Blue Iris, whenever you use the /mjpg/camera URL for Blue Iris that @Vettester mentioned, Blue Iris will automatically transcode the source stream into MJPEG.

1 Like

That's because your doorbell cam is connected directly to you router and your other cameras are being routed through your NVR.

1 Like

Do you use the Image or Video Player Tile? Or are you using a custom app?
I can't seem to get it to load. my address is (http://192.168.1.100:81/mjpg/Cam2)
Loads perfectly in a chrome window. Won't load in the tile. Thanks

Welcome to the community!

I don't use Hubitat Dashboards, but I just tested this and the image tile appears to be working.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.20.37 AM Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.16.54 AM