rPi resilience for Home Automation IoT usage or time to walk?

Just remember not all USB/SATA interfaces play nicely with Rpi's. The 2 that are most recommended are the Sabrent I linked to earlier and also from Startech. I prefer the Sabrent for its smaller size. Avoid generic adapters like the plague.

I only use high endurance SD cards designed for constant read/writes, typically dashcams.
5 year warranty
https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-128GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07B984HJ5/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+endurance&qid=1603893835&sr=8-1

4 Likes

If you are thinking of spending 2 to 3 times over the Pi. It's probably the best bang to get a used Lenovo thinkCentre Tiny PC. Not sure about Singapore but they are very cheap over here in North America.
I have a few at home with Windows/Linux. For various projects.

Do you have a preferred supplier and case?

The other thing that could be causing crashes is the power supply. Some usb wall adapters don't provide the full 5 volts, which the pi really needs. The official pi power supply is quite cheap and a good investment.

1 Like

I just use Ameridroid and the cheapest case. The bottom half of the case is the heat sink for the N2/N2+.

This is from raspberry pi org: (SD cards - Raspberry Pi Documentation)

If you are having trouble with corruption of your SD cards, make sure you follow these steps:

1. Make sure you are using a genuine SD card. There are many cheap SD cards available which are actually smaller than advertised or which will not last very long.
  2. Make sure you are using a good quality power supply. You can check your power supply by measuring the voltage between TP1 and TP2 on the Raspberry Pi; if this drops below 4.75V when doing complex tasks then it is most likely unsuitable.
  3. Make sure you are using a good quality USB cable for the power supply. When using a lower quality power supply, the TP1->TP2 voltage can drop below 4.75V. This is generally due to the resistance of the wires in the USB power cable; to save money, USB cables have as little copper in them as possible, and as much as 1V (or 1W) can be lost over the length of the cable.
  4. Make sure you are shutting your Raspberry Pi down properly before powering it off. Type sudo halt and wait for the Pi to signal it is ready to be powered off by flashing the activity LED.
  5. Finally, corruption has been observed if you are overclocking the Pi. This problem has been fixed previously, although the workaround used may mean that it can still happen. If after checking the steps above you are still having problems with corruption, please let us know.
4 Likes

The other thing that can speed up a raspberry pi is using an application class 2-rated sd card (A2). See Application Performance Class - SD Association for more info.

Just buy a QNAP or Synology NAS and use container station to deploy node-red or other applications. Can double as a cloud storage location within your local LAN.

Or if you're into diy check out unraid.