Router suggestions

You might want to consider the following Asus router. I used it for at least 3 years, and it still is a "roaring, super fast" router, with an unusual twist: it has it's own, built in 8 port "switch". That is, instead of 4 ports, it has 8.

The Netgear Nighthawk R9000 X10 supports 10gbps WAN, although as of yet I don't think many service providers provide that high of WAN service, but it is capable.

On a side note I highly do not recommend those routers as I had 4 different defective replacements all for different reasons within a 12 month period.

1 Like

Currently running a Netgear R7800. It's been a good one but doesn't quite reach one distant corner of the house.

Based on a recommendation here in the forum, I have the NETGEAR Nighthawk AX6000 8 stream router in my 'Save for later' list.

Thanks... But on-router ports do no matter to me. No matter what it will be connecting to a 48port managed switch... So I have "ports aplenty".

Either way... Still an interesting discussion happening in here. Good to see all the opinions. Now we just need to have some poll questions made for all the general ideas. :slight_smile:

I second the Ubiquity recommendation, although I use their Unifi gear.

I wish they'd add an easier VPN-to-mobile tool for the Unifi system. I've been using a VPN and the built-in Android VPN but it has some real issues.

Anyone try the Ubiquiti Dream Machine yet?

Have you tried OpenVPN?

@rob posted above that he had one arriving soon and I'm hoping to see his opinion before buying one.

It takes a bit of getting used to but I'm very impressed so far. I have a lot of reading/watching Youtube videos to do to make the most of it. Not set up a separate VLAN yet for example, but it doesn't look all that difficult.

Thanks Rob. Is it that much different than the Unifi hardware you've been using?

This is my first Ubiquiti product

Unfortunately, it's not an option in the controller.

Oops! I could have sworn reading you had used Ubiquiti products before.

So I was also looking to buy a router. After reading some articles, I see that everyone had really good experiences with Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD. I almost pulled the trigger on it but then I noticed that it doesn't have any mu-mimo support. Is this going to affect me? I don't plan to stream since I have wires everywhere, but I need good wifi for any smart home products and mobile devices. Also, I see that it is kind of old ( i see reviews since 3-4 years ago).
Should I pick something more 'future-proof'?

Anyone use packetfence? Maybe way overkill for parental internet control... but... :grin:

https://packetfence.org/

E.

1 Like

If you want something from the Amplifi line, look at the newer Amplifi Alien:

Another all-in-one option would be the Unifi Dream Machine:

I've seen the Alien one, but it's out of stock everywhere :frowning:

I was going to try the Alien but it is not even available in Canada. I will probably try the UDM alone and then get a wired mesh extension for it if the UDM alone isn't enough to cover my 1900sqft house.

For consumer mesh - I've had good luck with the Netgear Orbi RBK50 + wired backhaul. Otherwise I am looking at possibly upping my game with the Ubiquiti stuff and the aforementioned packetfence.