Room Lighting Triggered Without Motion

Currently running 2.3.4.117 but I also noticed this on 2.3.4.116. I'm not sure if this is how RL is supposed to work, but It's not what I was hoping to automate.

Basically: I want the bedroom lights only automated when there is motion. When mode is Home, the ceiling lights should come on. When mode is Evening, the side lamps (Bed and Other) should come on. When mode is Asleep, the Other lamp should come on at a reduced level.

When I come home after sunset, the mode first becomes Home and then is immediately changed to Evening via a RM rule. All of the lights are turned out when I leave, and the bedroom lights are not turned on when I come home.

I came home after being out, and noticed all of the bedroom lights were on. They should not have been because there was no motion. I did some testing and found that the lights are turning on when the mode changes, regardless of whether there is motion or not. I assume this is because I have "Adjust Lights on Mode Changes" turned on. I thought this would happen only if the RL app was active; i.e. the lights had been turned on via motion. In that case I would want the ceiling light to turn off and the side lamps to turn on.

Is this intended? That a mode change will turn the lights on regardless of whether the RL app has been activated?

Here's the app, and the log follows:

More info: This did not happen this morning when Asleep mode changed to Home. The ceiling light did not come on until there was motion. But I can recreate this with the Home to Evening shift.

What if you try cloning or re-creating the RL setup?

Also, have you checked the state of the RL app while you are out (if possible)? I wonder if some of the lights are not reporting correctly...

Nothing shows in the logs for the RL app while I was out. For the test I ran that's in the log above, I watched the lights go on from an off state, so I know they were reporting correctly.

The two lamps are Hue bulbs on HE via the Hue bridge. The ceiling light is a GE/Jasco Z-Wave+ switch. I've never had any problem with any of these reporting incorrectly.

I will try recreating this RL app and test that. That does sort of seem like grasping at straws, though.

Very much so ... :slightly_smiling_face:

I'm with you, it all seems fine and should work. Although I mentioned the lights not reporting accurately, I would still suggest checking the app status if you can, as I suspect that would drive whether to transition the lights on a change in mode.

If the app thinks it's active, it will "adjust" the lights upon mode change. So, even if all of the lights are off, if the app doesn't know that, "adjust" would turn them on.

You need to drill into why it might not realize all of the lights are off (or don't use that option). Debug logging in the app shows the responses from the devices, so you can see if they are all reporting correctly. That's the place to start, and the logs are super valuable to figuring out exactly what is happening (or not).

Thanks for the responses.

I might try to track this down sometime when I have more time on my hands. For now I think I'm just going to go back to the RM rule that ran my bedroom lights. It worked great for years.

I'm sure it's something that I'm doing or not doing in RL that's causing this to be wonky. I'm just tired of trying to figure out what. For my use cases, RL seems to be OK for transitions and simple automations, but RM is better for more complex automations.

If anyone is curious, this is the RM rule I was trying to recreate in RL. The main points of this rule:

• Triggered by motion
  • When Home, Ceiling Lights turn on
  • When Evening, Bed Lamp and Other Lamp turn on at 100%
  • When Asleep, Other Lamp turns on at 20%
  • All lights turned off when no motion for 5 minutes
  • If lux > 6000, lights are turned off
  • When Evening or Asleep, if I need more light I can manually turn the Ceiling Lights on and they stay on until all of the lights are switched off

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.