Room lighting pause automation on physical switch on

Hi all,
The wife has complained that if she manually turns a switch on it should not auto turn off (upon motion inactivity). Is it possible using room lighting to disable turn off if physical switch is turned on and re-enable auto turn off when switch is turned off?
I can select “physical switch” using rule machine by I can not see this exposed in room lighting? If it is not available in room lighting might it be possible to add this functionality to room lighting app please?

1 Like

I setup a virtual switch that I use in my Room Lighting setup, then control that from various sources, such as physical button in Button Controller, or in an RM rule when I change modes. The virtual switch provides more flexibility, I find.

Many ways to skin a cat but I though it much neater if this option was exposed in room lighting

Not every switch reports physical turn on and off. That’s why it is not an option compared to using a dimmer (which does report level changes). @sburke781’s use of a virtual switch is the way to go.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t the user have this option though? All my switch's report physical activity.
It would be much neater to have all in one app rather than having a bit of lighting automation in this app and a bit of lighting automation in that app.
I have a currently have a work around that as I said is not ideal but does not need virtual switch where I use rule machine (as it exposes “physical switch” attributes) and if physical switch on=true then pause rule (specific automated lighting in room lighting) and if physical switch off = true then resume (specific automated lighting in room lighting)

Same option exists to limit activation

4 Likes

I had similar but created a rule that on physical dim or physical on turned a hub variable true; another rule set the variable false for physical off. That variable was referenced in the lighting rule but it seems to work ok now with the options in Room Lights. I use a similar method (rule and hub variable) to control whether the room is dark that is based on external luminance value and the position of the shade/curtain.

I have tried the “physical switch” to stop the off action but in room lighting it seems to detect automated switch on as physical on and the light never turns off. If I use the physical switch attribute in rule machine it works as expected

1 Like