Room Lighting Off options not working as expected

If I turn off any of the switches in the group the whole group never turns off.
I have fixed this with a piston code addition for this group but I wonder what I'm missing as I "assume" this should work. :slight_smile:

WebCore fix:

What are you trying to accomplish with Room Lighting and the two switches? The two switches only act as a group if you use the Activator device to turn on and off. If you physically press a switch to turn it off, it will not turn off the other switch. You would need to use something like [RELEASE] Switch Bindings if the desire is for both switches to follow each other.

The RL app says Turning Off Alternative method to determine ALL lights are off.
That sounds like HE implies any one of these switches, if selected, with turn all the lights off in the defined group.
There would be no point for the Alternative selection if it just acted like you pressed any switch in the group and a single light went off. No?
@bobbyD

This determines how the Room Lighting considers your setup "Turned Off" (as opposed to "Activated") in the Room Lighting sense, which may affect how your automation behaves (e.g., if you don't have "don't Activate if already partially Activated" selected, as it is not by default). It does not cause anything else to turn off or on on its own.

See: Room Lighting | Hubitat Documentation

From the documentation, "For some automations, especially those that either don't turn off the lights, or that entail using buttons to Activate and Turn Off the lights (e.g. Lutron systems), it may be necessary to choose those devices that determine that the automation is no longer Activated."

All you are doing is telling HE that the Room Lighting instance is no longer Activated. This is not the same as Turning Off. Per your picture, the only way to turn off the Room Lighting instance is via the Activator Device. Your piston code shows exactly this. If you wanted Room Lighting to turn off when one of your switches turns off, you need to add a new Means to turn off. Have it be a "switch is off", then select your two switches. This should allow for the Room Lighting to work the way you want it to.

With the above said, if all you are trying to do is have the switches work together, the Switch Binding app and/or the built-in Mirror Me would work better.

1 Like

Oh Darwin! There's documentation, I'm ashamed. :wink:
Thanks guys!

There is for all built-in apps. :smiley: Click the "?" icon in the upper right of any app page (and actually most pages in the UI) to go to the most specific documentation that exists for the page in question, or browse them all at docs2.hubitat.com if you're feeling particularly inspired.

1 Like