Rookie asking if this set up is good

Hello guys! I need experienced eyes on this. I need to set up a security system with strong integration to Habitat so it can trigger other stuff indoor. My home already has 8 CAT wire installed. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Below is the list of proposed purchases:

Hubitat Elevation

Blue Iris Software?

Amcrest NVR ( Amcrest NV4108E-HS 4K 8CH POE NVR (1080p/3MP/4MP/5MP/6MP/8MP/4K) POE Network Video Recorder - Supports up to 8 x 8MP/4K IP Cameras, 8-Channel Power Over Ethernet Supports up to 6TB HDD (Not Included))

5 Amcrest Camera (for now) (Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera, 3840x2160, 164ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording (128GB), White (IP8M-T2499EW))

Anything else I need to think of?

You’ll need an always-on PC running windows to use Blue Iris. The community developed integration with Hubitat is nice though.

1 Like

Right, I forgot to include an old i7 laptop. So, with that, I am good to go?

Battery backup??

Oh, I didn't think of that. Any recommendations?

Welcome to the community!

In my humble opinion, No it is not a good set-up. Or rather parts of it are redundant and not well thought out.

Blue Iris, is a video camera management and recording software, so is the Amcrest NV1408E-HS. You have to pick one or the other. If you want it to integrate nicely with hubitat pick Blue Iris. Instead of the NV1408E-HS you will need: Blue Iris (running on a windows computer), a POE network switch that has enough powered ethernet ports for all your cameras, and storage space to store the video (this could be on the windows computer running Blue Iris or some other place on your network).

Once you have the Blue Iris set-up; all you need is the cameras. Realize that Amcrest does not make any cameras they just rebrand cameras that are made by other manufacturers. Most Amcrest cameras are made by Dahua. Dahua also makes cameras for other manufacturers. You can also just buy the Dahua cameras directly, which is usually the best bang for the buck. You can read this for more information:
https://www.vueville.com/home-security/cctv/ip-cameras/amcrest-vs-lorex-most-popular-ip-cameras-compared/

I use Blue Iris and Hubitat (HE) in my own home. But I think it is important to note, that although HE and Blue Iris play nice together, setting up a camera to be a motion trigger in HE is not a novice thing to accomplish. It requires a fairly good understanding of both the Blue Iris software and the Hubitat user interface. It is not too hard and there are many people in the forum who are glad to help, but it is not "plug and play".

3 Likes

Thanks, That's exactly what I want to hear. I'll choose the Blue Iris with Hubitat. I have a background in the computer area. Shouldn't be hard to learn.

In the interest of full disclosure, The National Defense Authorization Act of 2019 (NDAA), in effect banned cameras and surveillance technology from Hikvision and Dahua, both Chinese companies.
https://www.thinkdsc.com/blog/ndaa-in-effect#:~:text=The%20National%20Defense%20Authorization%20Act,and%20Dahua%2C%20both%20Chinese%20companies.&text=The%20deadline%20for%20federal%20agencies,equipment%20passed%20in%20August%202019.

Considering almost all Amcrest cameras are manufactured by Dahua and Lorex is owned by Dahua, it would require some research to buy a camera that isn't manufactured by Dahua if that is important to you.

1 Like

This only applies to the government, not private businesses. I think I read somewhere that one can do something to block outgoing traffic or something. I prefer to follow something that has been done before. Less headache but, let's assume that I am a government entity. Which product should I go with?

Swann Communication?

Camera recommendation is a minefield. Good night vision, good zoom, pan and tilt, etc... There are so many options and so many different users with different needs that I would not hazard a recommendation.

I use Dahua Starlight and are very happy with them. I also don't live in the USA so it is not my government that has a concern, again I only mentioned it in the interest of full disclosure. The post was not intended to discredit Dahua or discourage their use, just to make people aware.

1 Like