Robot Vacuum is 26.7% busy?

Dosen't it seem a little excessive for a robot vacuum to be almost 27% a little excessive? What the hell? It's not even running... just sitting there waiting.

On another note... #2 is my Tesla and #3 is my weather sensor.

First, if you weren't aware, this is "percent of busy," which is just this percent of the "9.5%" or "43m 32s" you see above. That may make this number less concerning.

But as for why the driver is still running it the device isn't doing anything, without knowing more about this device or driver, I'm assuming it's using some sort of polling. That's going to cause the driver to run (and hence "count" to increase and any time- or percent-based stats along with it), regardless of whether the device is actually doing anything. Again, this may not be concerning, but if it is, reducing the frequency of such polling may be one way to avoid it (though your options here depend on how the driver was written).

1 Like

Oh I see, I didn't notice this. I was thinking it was using that much preocessor. Well at least that part is answered. And ya... you'd think the robot driver would be quieter than that.

A quick glance at the first Neato driver I found does everything via polling. Polling is bad because it means it runs your driver code over and over needlessly while the vacuum isn't even doing anything. It also uses def for everything, too, so the Groovy runtime spends a ton of extra CPU cycles boxing/unboxing everything and doing all the other extra work that using def causes. I've seen def cause code to run well over 100x slower than static typed code, and if everything is statically typed then adding an @CompileStatic annotation makes it run many times faster still. None of that is used in the driver I looked it. It's an 'ok' driver in the sense that it probably does what it's supposed to, but definitely not in any way optimized for low CPU usage.

So if you're using the driver from here, then that's why. It's polling and using def everywhere.

You can adjust how often it polls whiile it's just sitting there and how often does while it's running... in the device preferences.

I was thinking (I won't say it) the 26.7% is better than my wife :laughing:

1 Like

LOL... something I would've said. :stuck_out_tongue: