RM4 Help with Garage Door

Hey all,

I'm sure it's something dumb that I'm overlooking but just can't figure it out.

If Door is open at Sunset -30
Send notification
Repeat every 5 mins until the Garage Door is shut

The If section triggers fine, however even after closing the garage door, I keep getting the repeating notice that it's still open, even though the If section is now false and the Else If is not true

I have another version that works fine all the way through, however it relies on us telling Alexa to turn off the Garage Door Notice VS. Trying to eliminate the need to tell Alex to turn off the VS

Thoughts on how to fix this?

Your only trigger is sunset, so when the door is closed, nothing will cause your entire actions section to be rerun and the IF/ELSE to be evaluated. I would add "garage door closed" as a trigger or "garage door changed" if you care about it being opened after sunset and not just being open at sunset, then add time restrictions to your IF if necessary (probably only if you use "changed" but there's a lot going on in your rule and it could be a bit simpler if you don't need what I assume is a virtual switch for some purpose not apparent here).

Your garage door is not connected to Hubitat, just the contact sensor?

Correct

This is my simple GD open rule. I use a periodic event every 15 minutes to test the condition of the door and to announce the alert message. Same as using repeat. Works ok.

Why are you running rules every 15 minutes for no reason? This is completely unnecessary and not recommended as it causes a huge amount of unnecessary overhead on the hub. You can accomplish the same exact thing without the 15 min "check-in". You also don't need all the nested If's. You can combine them into one. You have one if of sunset +20 to sunrise and then the next if is sunrise +20 to 11:59. Why is that? This is what i would do.

Trigger:  Garage Door Changing OR Time Sunset +20 OR time is 11:59

Action:
If Garage door is Open AND time is Sunset + 20 to 11:59
     Delay actions by 15 mins (cancelable)
     Repeat Actions every 15 minutes cancelable
          Do your notifications here
     End-RPT
Else
     Cancel delayed actions
     Stop repeat actions
End-If

That way, it only runs the repeat if it needs to notify you. all day when the door is closed, the rule doesn't have to run.

1 Like

Looks good. That could be the reason my hub seems slower.

1 Like

Ryan,

What what happens between 11:59pm and Sunrise? Seems like this only works up until midnight

Am I missing something?

My garage door will NEVER be open after midnight :wink: In my earlier version I posted I had an extra set of If-Then clauses which were blank. I had left them blank because I hadn't decided what I would want to do after midnight. As it stands they are still left out.

So does the rule that the OP posed. That's why i set it up that way. If you read my previous post all the way through you'd see that I pointed out that there were two successive IF statements...one for sunset to 6am and one for sunset to 11:59.

You can't do that. If you add an IF it has to be populated other wise it will always be false. I would recommend you take another look at what I posted for your rule.

Thanks Ryan, I see it now

After seeing your version, my original post was not only overly complicated (was trying to add an additional announcement when the door was closed), it also required me to have another rule for after sunset. This puts both into a simple rule

Thanks again
Rick

1 Like

Don't get excited Ryan - I followed your example nearly to the letter - I appreciate all your help, suggestions and examples.

1 Like

What is "NumberWarnings? You don't reset that back to zero ever, are you counting the number of announcements you receive?

Exactly. Counting how many times my wife leaves the door open too long....lol

She feeds deer, raccoons, opossum and one or two feral cats. I hate having the door open after dark.

1 Like

Exactly what I was after and super easy to follow.
Thank you.

Hey @Ryan780
I wrote up the rule but I must of missed something as the notification didnt fire.

Not Ryan here, but that looks correct to me. Have you verified that you were in evening or night mode and waited 15 minutes before the notification didn't happen? Turning on logging for your rule may help narrow down what is and isn't happening.

1 Like

yeah was in evening (you can see it is True) and the garage door was open from 719 to 740 with no luck. will toggle the logging.