RM Unexpected Error while creating rule

While creating a my first fairly detailed rule in RM everything was going really well until clicking on the rule from the App List drops me to a page saying:

“Unexpected Error ... Error: Cannot invoke method size() on null object.”

Logs say: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method size() on null object (mainPage)

I assume I messed up something along the way. From searching for solutions to this, I found everything from deleting Rule Machine, to factory reset.

So before I do either... it is possible to delete the rule from the “Rule Status” page by hitting the “Remove App” button at the bottom or does this remove the RM App?

Running HE firmware 2.0.5.114
RM is showing Version 2.9.4/2.10.1 2 installed
Please let me know if any more info is needed. Thanks in advance.

Yes, this will delete the rule. Don't do the other drastic steps.

Take a screenshot of your rule when you recreate it. That would help to know what went off the rails.

1 Like

Thanks for the the quick response Bruce and the great suggestion.

Possibly change that red button to “Delete Rule” in the future would be good?

1 Like

Are we talking about the same red button?

10%20PM

Yes sir, the one at the bottom when you enter the “Rule Status” page.

It’s good to know that even though it says “Remove App” it’s actually only removing the rule, but someone new would probably think twice since it does say “App”.

Also, it worked perfectly and I have the rule up and running again no issues. :slightly_smiling_face:

Very good to know. I shall investigate this in my own hub for future. Thanks!

I think I had a few empty conditions or operations and when I left my tablet on the couch either my cat touches it or something else happened to cause that error because I didn’t save it myself.

When you get this error, you just have to go to the “Rule Status” page and click “Remove App” and it will delete the rule stuck in the error status.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.