RM Select Button Device

I want to use RM4 to control the 8 buttons on my device (Z-Wave Remotec Scene Master ZRC-90).

I read: "If using RM, select 'Button Device' instead of 'Button' as the capability and you'll be able to set IF...Then conditionals".

I cannot figure out how to do this. How do I select just button device as the capabilty?
If selecting button device I must the choose the button number to proceed and nothing for buttons shows up in the IF...Then conditionals.

Here is an example:

I am unable to select just the device as the trigger.
Once I select the button device I can proceed no further unless I also choose the button number.

Edit: Okay it looks like this is the Button Contollers App? and not RM? (though the poster says RM so I am confused).

How can i achive this in RM?

If you want conditionals, you want trigger as "Button" in Rule Machine. Select your device, what button number, and pushed/held. Then Done.

After that, you can add actions, the If/Then and so on.

Hi, This is in fact RM, but you can't select the device, each button must be programmed individually. If you want all the buttons to do the same thing, you'd have to program each button the same, you can't just have the whole device as a trigger.

Lemme see if I can mock this up. Which driver are you using for the remotec?

But do you really need the conditionals?

I guess I should ask what you are trying to do with the button.

I have a couple of my button controllers still in RM because you can no longer run another RM rule from a BC 3.1

Once you select the button device and populate the button presses it looks just like the button controller interface.

Maybe I am missing something.

Here's an example, but let us know what you're trying to accomplish

Thanks all. I will have another look when the wife has finished in the bathroom, which could be a while :wink:
I want it so:
Each button pushed sets dimness level for the bathroom light (button 1 = 10, to button 8 =1 00%, skipping 20% and 90% as only 8 buttons).
Each button held selects a different colour.
Double-tap on any button will turn off the light.

I can do this in the button controller app but eventully want other conditions/rules dependent on time of day etc so figured rule machine (which I really like) would be better.

I have sorted it now, well in my head at least. I cannot test anything just yet. Cannot belive I missed it earlier. Thanks all.

Update:

In the end I decided to use the button controllers app for the button actions and RM for the more complex rules. I know :wink:
Anyway it is far from finished yet but below is what I have so far which all seems to be working.

This is to be used in a one bedroom maisonette where the bathroom/toilet and the kitchen are both directly off the living room.
There is a motion controller in the bathroom as well as the button controller (which is now fixed to the wall).
There is no window in the bathroom so the light needs to come on whenever anyone enters the room, 24/7.
The light will stay on for 5 minute while motion is detected.
Usually the light will be set to daylight white and at 100% dimness level.
But when I wake up in the night, or when we have a guest staying over on the sofa bed in the living room, I do not want the bathroom light to be bright at all (just at 10%, but still white).

Also if someone will be in the bathroom, and potentially not moving for more than 5 minutes (having a long soak in the bath for example) then the light needs to stay on longer than the 5 minutes (I have gone for 15 minutes).
Also there needs to be an option then to adjust the brightness or the colour of the light. This is all handled by button push/held events on the button controller.

This is my first, fairly complex RM rule (only had the C7 for a few day) so I would appreciate any input on how it can be improved, especially if the trigger events can be shortened :slight_smile:
I am also looking at the global variables to see if these can be useful.

Someone staying over on the sofa bed can turn on the 'Virtual Sleep Switch Living Room' which they can call from Alexa (Alexa, sleep on) or another smaller controller, when I buy one. This will turn off the TV and lights in the living room and is used to ensure the living room light (and bathroom and kitchen lights) do not come on bright if someone enters the room/s while sleeping.
I have a similar virtual switch for use in the bedroom (Virtual Sleep Switch Bedroom).
These virtual switches along with a 3rd one(Virtual Override Switch Bathroom) is also used to control the time the bathroom light stays on etc.

Like I said, all seems to be working but I am sure it can be improved.

Edit:
Previous images removed.
I have now moved the buttons over to RM, There are still some conditions I need to add outside of the main bathroom light RM on/off rule.
But more than this my previous rule failed. I never anticapated there would be continuous movement in the bathroom for the full 5 minutes of even the full 15 minutes. Both these conditions occured which resulted in the bathroom light turning off while someone was in there.
So I changed the condition to to check for motion change rather than active and amended the main bathroom light RM on/off rule to detect motion active/inactive activity. The image is below. Again would really appreciate any input if this could be improved, though it seems fully functional now (I think I have tested every scenario).
Edit. Rule changed (new image) I had been overcomplicating this. No need to have buttons as trigger events in main RM rule, as motion sensor is right above button controller. So I removed them and also simplified main RM rule. Now much leaner and works very fast.

2 Likes