RM less load on hub than a bunch of Simple Automation Rules?

I had a bunch of Simple Automation Rules for turning on/off lights while away to simulate being at home. Each was triggered a certain amount of minutes after sunset and only when status was away. I ended up with a bunch of rules, one for each action, as I couldn't set both an on and off time in a single simple automation rule if the time was based on an offset from sunset. I figured that ended up with a bunch of times to check for the hub, one for each rule I wrote. Not a major load, but it looked like I was actually making things more complicated by using a bunch of simple rules instead of using rule machine. Here's the RM rule I ended up replacing all those simple rules with:

Trigger Event: When time is Sunset+10 minutes

IF (NOT Mode is Away) Exit Rule
On: Bedroom Front
Delay 1:00:00 Random
On: Office light and fan
Delay 0:04:00
Off: Bedroom Front
Delay 1:20:00 Random
On: Living Room Light
Off: Office light and fan
Delay 0:30:00 Random
On: Family Room Light
Off: Living Room Light
Delay 0:30:00 Random
Off: Family Room Light

At most, only two times are registered to be checked: one for sunset + 10m, and one for a delay when it is running. Am I right? Is this less load? Again, I don't think either way puts much load on the system, but I was avoiding RM based on fear of overloading the hub, and, in retrospect, it looks like rules like this are better in RM and really don't have load issues.

And to those wondering what happens if I return home while some of these lights are on, the first action on home return is to set all interior lights off, then I turn on the lights I want on at return.

There is no 'checking' going on. These are simply scheduled events in a database. You can go either way, whichever you prefer. For things triggered by time, there is virtually no 'load' on the hub irrespective.

4 Likes