RM 5.0 (2.2.8.138) - Getting error on Fade Over Time

I'll look into it.

1 Like

Same error after update to 2.2.8.141.

@bravenel When I originally created this rule, I kept getting broken actions every time I edited a conditional statement. At one point all of the triggers went missing and I had to re-enter them.

I have recreated this rule, very carefully so nothing broke, and it seems to be working fine now and isn't throwing an error. I can only assume that something got corrupted even though the rule looked OK.

The editing in RM 5 seems to be very, very fragile. I've had this happen with more than one rule and ended up having to completely recreate the rule. I've also noted more than once that an attempt to edit a broken action leads to a screen where nothing can be done, no action editing, etc, and no way to get out of it. At that point the rule is pretty much toast. I’m trying not to touch anything.

Note, I do really like the new features in Rule 5. But editing…

Editing in what context specifically?

well... I can't recreate any of it now, of course. But, off the top of my head:

• I deleted an IF (just the conditional statement), and that also deleted the condition itself. It was one of the trigger conditions, and the trigger went missing. When I put the trigger back, other IF conditions were suddenly broken.

• Trying to edit a broken action gets me to a screen where I can't edit the action or go back to the rule. I can recreate this.

• I edited a condition statement and that broke the IFs that used that condition.

• If I add an action in before another action, sometimes statements later in the rule will become broken. Not necessarily conditional statements, either, but often actions.

I'll add more if I run across them, but right now I'm trying really hard not to touch anything.

1 Like

I will say I have seen something similar to this as well. It has only happened a couple times so far, but rules that I know were setup when I went back later the IF statements were still there but the conditions were gone. I also had a rule that @bravenel had seen and said would look into. If I deleted a line in the rule it would break other lines in the rule that had nothing to do with it. That was a couple of hotfixes back, so not sure if that was found or corrected.

I haven't been able to duplicate the vanishing IFs so wasn't sure how or what to report. Just thought I would mention I have seen some weird stuff as well. I know that is not much help, but if I see it happen again I will take some screenshots and maybe I can figure how to duplicate.

1 Like

Glad to know I'm not alone! I have not seen this kind of thing with any of the previous RM versions.

That one was fixed. But, if others show up they can be tracked down also. But, I need to know rather specific circumstances so I can reproduce. If I can reproduce it, it can get fixed.

I haven't been able to reproduce any of it. I thought maybe the problem was happening in cloned rules. If I'm going to edit a rule, I often clone it and edit the clone so that the original rule is preserved. Just in case. But I cloned a rule and messed around with it, and it all was fine. I'll keep poking. I know it's darn hard (i.e. impossible) to troubleshoot something that can't be reproduced.

Found one! After I posted the above, it occurred to me that I had a clone of the rule that gave me problems. I made a new clone from the old clone, and here's what happened when I edited it. And I can reproduce this.

Here's the actions of the original clone:

I deleted the first "Cancel Delayed Actions" line. Actions down at the bottom of the rule are now broken.

Just for grins, this is what I get when I try to edit a broken action:

There's no way to actually edit the action. The only choices are Refresh Action List and Done with Actions. Neither will get me back to a place where I can edit the rule in any way.

I know I've edited broken actions in previous RM version successfully.

Was writing a rule this morning and I had one of these weird things happen.

I also forgot I posted this 4 days ago which is an example of the vanishing IFs I was talking about.

In the case below RM5.0 added a IF that wasn't there and said it was broke. The area circled was what the rule consisted of initially. I inserted the IF at the beginning. After inserting the IF the IF at the bottom that it said was broke got added as well. There was no other statements in the rule other than the three I circled when I started. Also note that the inserted IF had an error I noticed this later. It should be 9:00AM to 8:00PM, so I don't know if that played a part or not. After I added an END IF and deleted the broke action it seems fine.

broke

Please send me the export file for this clone (see PM I am sending you). I suspect this is something to do with it being a clone, but it's very hard to tell. So with that text, I can perhaps figure out what is going on. There is a reason that rule cloning is marked as 'beta'. I'm still looking for someone who can show this in a directly entered rule, not a clone.

That is now 2 or 3 builds in the past, and was probably addressed, so we won't be going back to look at that one.

Can you reproduce this from scratch? If so, please detail the specific steps to get to a break in the UI. It's not really possible to go from what you've posted to anything that can be analyzed.

I tried but not yet. I going to try one more thing but I did notice something from trying to reproduce that you might want to look into..

When you add conditions in predicate they show up in the manage condition section, but you can't select them like you can when creating a new condition. Also if you create a condition in the actions it gets added the manage conditions and if you create the same condition in predicate it then shows up twice in the manager condition section.

In the rule I posted above I originally created the conditions as predicates but the plan was to run the rule without triggers, so after some reading I determined that predicates are not evaluated if you do a run actions, only if there is a trigger. So I added the IF and used the conditions I created in the predicates for the conditional.

When trying to reproduce I first just added the conditions to a test rule, see below, and that worked fine. So I thought I would try and see if it was the fact that I created a predicate first and deleted it. So I deleted the condition in actions and then went to add them to the predicate section. As I created each condition there I could see the conditions I had created in actions in the box at the bottom but they were never allowed to be selected so I had to create each one again. As I did so It created another instance of the same condition. If look at screenshot you can there are two instances of each condition in the rule in manage conditions. The switch condition is different because I used two different switches when creating the condition in the predicate and condition section.

Yeah, I'm working on this. The issue is that there are two types of Conditions you can create that don't work as Predicate Conditions: Rule paused and Variable.

Of course, you can create duplicate conditions all you want.

1 Like

Just tried building a duplicate of the rule from scratch, doing basically what I remember from the first time and it had no issues. So no I can not reproduce.

Don't know if I can reproduce, but here is an example of rules getting broke, that I captured as it happened.

The first screenshot is the final rule.

Below that is the rule when it broke. The first line of the rule is adding 1 to the variable VideoCount. After I had completed making the rule I noticed I had set VideoCount to 1 instead of adding 1 to it.

So to correct it I Inserted the line to add 1 to VideoCount just before where I had set it to 1. I then deleted the line setting VideoCount to one. The screenshot at the bottom shows the result after deleting the line. It removed both lines at the top of the rule, the line adding 1 to it and the line setting VideoCount to 1, and it deleted the line at the bottom that set VideoCount to 0 and created broken actions.

Don't have time right now but I will try and build a test rule reproducing the actions to see if I can reproduce.

I just went through these steps that you describe, and nothing happened, no broken actions. So I'll have to wait until you have something that is reproducible.

I think I know what is causing this. Now I have to figure out in some detail and fix it.

4 Likes