Ring retrofit

Good Morning.
A couple of years ago i bought a konnected system and before rigging it in to my panel i set it up on a bread board with a half a dozen wired contacts just to get a feel for it. After toying with it for a month i wasn't certain i wanted to do a full rig in on my panel as i was looking for some thing more complete as an independent alarm system vs using HE Safety monitor for arming / disarming my system.

I recently had seen the ring retrofit system..which looks like it might get me more of what i was looking for which is a combination of complete alarm system that i can access form a dedicated alarm app and the ability to use my hard wired wired and door contact sensors.

I have some questions on how this integrates into HE if there is anyone on the forum that might have experience.

Im sure i have more questions than this but as a start.

• I can see from the compatible devices that the ring retrofit kit is a compatible device. Im assuming that HE connects to the ring base vs directly to the retrofit kit....yes?
  • As ive never used ring before...is the link between the ring system and HE pretty reliable?
  • Once the retrofit kit is added....will all of my wired zones show up as devices where they can be used for automations?

kicking tires on what to do next with my HE system and this looks interesting so would appreciate any input from people who have used Ring / integrated with HE.

TIA.
Mac

I don’t have the retrofit kit myself, but do have a Ring Alarm.

I suspect that if the retrofit kit is in the supported list, then it must be a Z-Wave device that will connect directly to the Hubitat hub. In this case, you would access it directly through Hubitat without requiring a subscription. Hopefully, someone who knows this for sure can chime-in and confirm…

There is also the other option to use it with Ring Alarm. In that case, there is an Unofficial Ring alarm integration that was built and is maintained by community members. It works quite well, but I haven’t yet heard of anyone who uses it with the retrofit kit, so not sure if it would work. Again, hopefully someone who has this setup will chime in…

:point_up_2:Directly.. This is a Z-Wave device.

1 Like

Appreciate that.
So if the retrofit kit goes directly to HE..i would have to assume that it's working more like the konencted IO - where the contact sensors connected show up in HE...but im also assuming that i probably lose the RING alarm capability on their app....yes?
Regards
Mac

Correct. If you want to keep Ring alarm capability, you will need to pair it with the alarm and then use the Unofficial integration and see if it supports the retrofit. You can check this in the following topic:

Appreciate that. might not be what i'm looking for...too bad Ring doesnt allow the retrofit kit to be exposed directly to HE and accessed by the Ring base station simultaneously. Ideally i want to update my alarm to something more user friendly and have a phone app to control it...so Ring does that fairly well from what i can read...but half my motivation is to be able to use my wired contact sensors for automations and while i think its great that users create these integrations...if its not dead simple...i tend to steer away as i honestly don't have the aptitude for a complex setup ( on the HE side....wiring it isn't an issue! )
I'm sure someone will eventually offer this type of product.

1 Like

Correct

1 Like