Ring gen 2 z wave extender mains power detection

Can the gen 2 range extender/repeater by ring also detect if the mains power has gone out? It appears to have a backup battery, and I need to detect power outages to enable a relay to disable mains power from the fuse box and then a relay to enable the keyed position on a generator then enable a 12v power supply to directly power a starter to crank a generator. I was gonna get a few just to be sure but they stopped selling gen 1 range extenders which do have this feature and I'm not sure if it still works with gen 2.

Yep! Do note that (EDIT: according to staff; see more user comments below), you need a C-7 hub to pair these, or at least to make them usable for this reporting with the hub. If you're not sure what Hubitat model you have, if you bought yours new after July or so of this year, this would be what you have, but Settings > Hub Details or the sticker on the bottom of your hub will tell you for sure.

2 Likes

Apparently (Edit: as reported by Bryan Copeland multiple times in these forums), the Ring Extender V2 needs to be paired with S2 security (which the C-7 can do but the C-5 and earlier cannot do) in order to report power fails. I have 5 of the Ring Extender v2 devices on my C-7.

They are a bit tricky to pair, but work well.

Here is the power fail rule I use

We have a freezer in our Garage that is on a GFCI circuit with outdoor outlets on the patio. During extremely heavy rains, the GFCI trips and the freezer loses power. Note that, unless the Ring Extender has a route back to the hub that is still up during the power fail (i.e., through other Ring Extender V2 devices), the power fail event will not reach the hub (which, hopefully, is on a UPS).

Note that, on power return, the hub will miss the power return event from the Ring Extender v2 if the Ring Extender regains power before the Hub, and the mains power state will be wrong in the Ring driver.

Here is the hub restart rule I use

While it doesn't hurt to pair it with S2 I don't think its a requirement. I have mine on my C7 without S2 and it reports power just fine. However I do also use my own driver for it but there is nothing special about the driver. It just parses the messages that are sent.

I also was using these on my C4 before I upgraded. They were a bit of a pain to pair on the C4 but eventually I got them paired and it was reporting everything fine.

I have to resetup my power fail rules. I want it to gracefully shutdown my hub if power goes out for X hours (I have it on a battery backup). Your example will make it a bit easier for me. Thanks.

2 Likes

I was just reporting what Bryan Copeland had reported. Mine has always been paired S2 because that’s what he reported to someone asking whether it would work on his C-5:

2 Likes

Interesting. But good to know. I guess I'm just lucky.

Maybe its a C5 thing too as I was on a C4 before jumping to the C7.

I believe I have seen at least one other post like yours, saying that it will report power fail if not paired S2. I’ve never performed that experiment, and have only verified operation with my rule (I have an identical rule on each of the 5) paired S2 to my C-7. I have a C-5, but it doesn’t have any devices attached.

Bryan has made the same statement several times in different threads discussing the Ring Extender V2. I have just accepted it without testing.

2 Likes

No, it works fine on the C5, too. I have no idea why people who have never actually tried it keep insisting that it won't work when it obviously does. (I'm not talking about bcopeland. I have a guess of why he said what he did, and I don't disagree with his thought process.)

I believe that I've been fairly careful just to report only what Bryan Copeland has said in these forums, and not to insist that it won't work because I have no personal knowledge other than that five of them do work, paired S2, on my C-7. I edited my post above to make that clearer.

3 Likes

Then why are you ignoring the 7 people (by my unscientific count, pardon me if I missed one or two in either direction) that did report them working successfully without S2 in that very thread?

Regardless of how ‘fairly careful’ you craft your reply, I don’t know why someone how doesn’t even use the hardware combination in question is replying at all, much less replying with known incorrect information.

I looked back through that thread just now and saw that I did previously test on my C-5, and was unable to make it report loss of power there, as I replied to you then:

Apparently, you obtained different results that I and Bryan Copeland did when we tested. Perhaps the firmware in the Ring Range Extenders changed from the ones that Bryan Copeland and I tested to the one you tested. I believe that the only driver available back then may have been the user-contributed one that Bryan Copeland wrote, not the updated built-in one he based on his user-contributed one. My reply was based on information known to me. Perhaps I made a mistake, won’t be my first or my last.

Regardless, to answer your puzzlement as to why I replied, I was trying to help the original poster who started this thread. That was my only motivation. Sorry if it set you off. Peace.

5 Likes

thanks for the tip on the ring gen 2 extender, just set up on c7 and tested for power outage and works great, did the smartstart from the phone app to install

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.