Ring Doorbell

I am not seeing the Ring Doorbell in the list for Ring devices. Is it not doable? I see a lot of other devices just not that one. Since it is not in the list will it be included soon? Thanks

Not a zwave device.

1 Like

The Ring Doorbell is not Z-Wave, unlike the Ring products that are on the list, nor is there a public, documented API. So, there is no way for Hubitat to integrate, sort of convincing Ring to allow or perhaps create a proprietary integration. You could ask Ring for that, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold my breath. :slight_smile:

However, I do believe there is at least one reverse-engineered community offering. This is totally unsupported by both parties (and could break at any time, etc.), though it appears many are using it successfully now. You can find some discussions in previous threads that have been created on this topic with a search. Here's one: RING Doorbell integration

1 Like

@aaiyar Thanks I was afraid of that. @bertabcd1234 That's too bad it is not z-wave. But like I said to aaiyar I had a feeling. I guess some of the devices will still be useful. I am using the keypads now. Thanks

1 Like

The z-protocols lack the bandwidth to carry video. Zwave is limited to 100 kbits/sec and zigbee to 250 kbits/sec.

If you plan to link it to Alexa, or even just have the Alexa app, you can easily connect it to a virtual switch to notify you of motion and another for doorbell presses. It does go through the cloud from Ring > Amazon > Hubitat but it is pretty darn quick and reliable. I use it to turn on the front lights when motion is detected at night.

4 Likes

I have a similar setup where I connect a virtual switch to Alexa, which turns on the virtual switch via an Alexa routine when the Ring Doorbell is pressed. The virtual switch is then used in a Hubitat lighting app that turns on my front entry light for 10 minutes. A bit of a workaround but it works pretty well in limited use cases.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.