Ring Doorbell motion sensor trigger?

This may be a longshot due to the couple threads I did see related to Ring integrations and apparently discontinued buuuuuttt...

I have a Ring Doorbell and I would like to use the motion event trigger from that to turn on the bright zigbee porch lights(which would also help with the ring video recording).

Is there any way to trigger lights based on the Ring Doorbell motion?

Thanks for any info.

In a word, yes.
I use the 'unofficial ring integration' app to have motion detection by the doorbell make an announcement on my GH's and also ring another doorbell in my kitchen.

Other option, if you’re an Alexa user, is to use the Alexa-Ring integration to capture the Ring motion and have Alexa activate a device in HE. Happy to help if you want to do this. Pretty easy. Bobbles idea works great too.

More than one way to skin a :cat:

3 Likes

GH? Google Hub? I don't have one of those.

Ok, so the unofficial ring integration will allow me to act on the ring bell motion trigger? That is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not using Alexa or any other assistant yet.

Sorry. GH for me is Google Home device.

Yes.

I used IFTTT (and now HA) to serve my Ring -> HE needs

Thanks for your reply. I don't use "Home Assistant" and haven't had to connect IFTT to anything yet but I guess that could be an option for some things down the road.

I am looking forward to checking out "unofficial ring integration" that @bobbles mentioned. :slight_smile:

good luck with it. i think i was going to look into it, but then the project had to be abandoned for whatever reason, so i chose not to go that route. i'm not sure if someone has picked it up to continue development on it, but at least the latest build was forked and made available again

@bobbles - Pointer to the code/Github?

I believe THIS is the (withdrawn) integration from @codahq that @bobbles was referring to.

1 Like

Uh ohh.. Wait a second.. All the github is gone. I thought I read this somewhere. I believe someone else has reposted or forked it.

UPDATE: HERE is the newly posted fork of it from @ardichoke (Thanks @ardichoke!)

1 Like

I don’t believe you actually need an Echo device, just the Alexa App on your phone to add the Ring Skill and the Hubitat Skill. Then use the Ring Doorbell motion as a trigger for an Alexa Routine. The Alexa Routine can then turn on a virtual Hubitat Switch with the Auto Off feature enabled. Use this virtual switch as a trigger for whatever you’d like in Hubitat.

I have used this method for 2 years, and it is much faster and more reliable than IFTTT. It also requires no custom code. :wink:

Thanks, beat me to the question! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did exactly that today. No delays at all so I am happy with the results. While I am using Echo's to play a message, like you said you do not need an echo device to make the link between Ring and HE. A simple routine in Alexa to turn on the virtual switch in HE then everything else can be done in HE.

2 Likes

I know how to make a "virtual switch" in Hubitat, but how do I make Alexa turn the switch on in the routine?

Once you share the Hubitat Virtual Switch with Alexa, by adding it to the list of devices shared in the "Amazon Echo Skill" app on your Hubitat hub, the virtual switch should simply appear within the Alexa app on your mobile phone. Then, simple add the virtual switch to an Alexa Routine as an action, and configure it to 'turn on'.

Note: Be sure to turn on and off the virtual switch by pressing those buttons on the virtual switch's device details page on your Hubitat hub. This will ensure the 'switch' attribute has an initial value.

1 Like

Its been so long since I added alexa skills in hubitat, forgot that it existed - I needed to share all my new devices with Alexa (was a looong list since it's been a while)

THANK YOU!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.