RGBW strip recommendations

I just buy the cheap Supernight ones of Amazon. What really makes the difference is putting them into the aluminum diffuser channels. They mount better, and look a LOT better that way.

2 Likes

Amazon. Example:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4DRX7N

I'm using their RGB-CCT strips with a Philips Hue controller. I love how bright and saturated the colors are on them, especially when compared to the Hue light strips. Btw, AFAIK 24V vs 12V doesn't affect the brightness, it just mainly affects how long of a run you can do without adding a repeater. You also have to make sure you match the voltage with the power supply and controller you are using.

I am also using some cheap RGBW strips from Banggood for my kitchen cabinets. They work fine but the orange and yellow look greenish.

@furom: If you are looking for lengths longer than 2m you will end up paying a pretty good premium for shipping from most places because 2m (~6ft) is the limit in most cases for standard shipping sizes (not because the channel companies are lazy, they extrude this stuff in HUGE lengths).

@dman2306:
I have had good luck with GIDERWEL & BTF-LIGHTING for RGBW LED strips. If you do not mind paying a touch more, I would recommend going to a RGB+CCT (like this) so you have both Warm White and Cold White LEDs. That allows you to completely mix it as you see fit. Although it looks like most RGBGenie controllers are just RGBW. GIDERWEL has a ZigBee RGB+CCT Controller that works pretty well it appears.

1 Like

I install strips in aluminum channels like these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DM7G91G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

They come in many sizes and shapes. Be sure you get channels wide enough for your LED strips. The RGB-CCT strips I use are a bit wider, nominally 12mm.

@Derakkon you are correct the voltage doesn’t affect the LED brightness, but it does change how many LEDs/m can be in any particular length before needing to inject power along the strip. Tomato, tomahto.

@dman2306 if you plan to use RGB-CCT strips and connect these directly to HE, I suggest you look for the 1ID controllers. If you are connecting them to Hue, pick the 2ID controller. The difference is whether or not you can control both the RGB and CCT LEDs at the same time. The 2ID gives you the ability to control both simultaneously. Hue naturally does this. No one has created a drive to do this in HE yet.

It’s interesting how we tend to assume lighting will be controlled on Zigbee. If you are focusing on Z-wave for all devices you should look at the LED strip controllers from Dresden-Elektronik. It have used them and they work quite well. Here is the CCT version.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Ballast-Phoscon-FLS-CT-Temperature/dp/B01MRWN2C0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dresden-elektronik&qid=1614696466&sr=8-3

@furom:
A good way to hide the joints is to NOT put the channel covers on just the specific channel. For example, if you have 2 pieces that are 2 meters (6ft) long, cut one of the channel covers in half and put those on either end. Use the other channel cover to go over the spot where the channels meet. That will help hide that joint a bit.

@wayne.pirtle:
I think some of it is just that it seems like it has taken a long time for Z-Wave to get out there more for lighting (beyond on/off and dimming). But I definitely prefer it myself. I have a couple Zen31s that I like much better than my multitude of ZigBee RGBW controllers. But I mentioned the GIDERWEL because you can get both together. Also, the link you posted is for a ZigBee device and from what I can tell Dresden does not offer Z-Wave models. I have a couple OLD Dresdens that work just fine but I am not as thrilled with them compared to newer varieties of RGBW controllers (they are at least 5 years old though, so changes over time).

I don’t really plan to use the white too much so RGBW should be fine. I also really like the RGB Genie touch panel so that’s why I’m focused on them. I’m really just looking for a good strip to hook up

Yup. My bad. :man_facepalming: They are nice devices though.

1 Like

Dresden was one of my first ZigBee devices that could DO something besides some outlets and a couple bulbs. Being able to control the color of an LED strip gave lots of "status at a glance" options.

Now though... The same units are pretty old, fairly large, and pricey compared to newer alternatives. But they still work just fine.

Maybe I’m stupid here but every one people recommended seems to be RGBWW not RGBW?

I think it is just what links people find readily. I prefer cool white if I am only getting RGBW. But generally I end up with either plain RGB or RGB-CCT lately.

I’ve started using RGB-CCT instead of other variations because the cost is only a few $ more, and it gives me more choices in the future.

I understand this perspective. But it’s not what I’m looking for.

Here's some links to 12V RGBW strips. Just for disclaimer, I don't have experience with these particular strips that I've linked to. For LEDENET, I've only used their 24V RGB+CCT strips and for BTF-Lighting I've only used their addressable strips. I've been happy with both of these brands so far and they seem to be of higher quality than the Banggood ones.

LEDENET (could only find non-waterproof in my quick search)
RGB+CW: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMFZ6Z7/
RGB+WW: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FM1X819/

BTF-Lighting
RGB+WW (IP65): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D1I4YFO/
RGB+WW (non-waterproof): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D1I4XGE/
RGB+CW (IP65): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D1I4V3O/
RGB+CW (non-waterproof): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D1I4U3U/

2 Likes

Not to highjack your post, but I'm wanting to install some LED strips in places too and so far the only place I've done so I have a weird issue that I don't know how to resolve.

I don't really know much about LED strips or powering them so I don't know what could possibly be causing this. It's made me really hesitant to put LED strips anywhere else. If you have any ideas, please post in my other thread.

I have a Giderwel 16" RGBWW strip from amazon with its Zigbee controller. It is Gledopto controlller. It seems to work really well for what we are doing with it.

It is a complete kit that enables up to 32" if you attach another 16" strip to the controller. The power supply seems to habe ample reserve for the extra strip.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SCZTJBP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_VK6EKPDEZXXYWH2TXMHW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It is

Totally a noob question -- can most generic LED strips be converted to "smart" LED strips by wiring them into a smart LED controller? I looked up a few controllers on Amazon and it appears that way, but I don't have much experience with wiring electronics.

What are the pros/cons of buying an already-smart LED strip vs. doing it yourself? I had been looking at the Philips Hues a while back, but they're expensive, and the maximum number of strips you can chain together was a little short of what I was hoping for.

This is a great thread by the way. I've been wanting to add LED strips in a few spots for a while, and the aluminum diffuser channels a few of you linked to are a fantastic solution!

Yes, you can convert most LED strips that way. The main decision is whether to use a ZigBee, Z-Wave, or WiFi controller and the various options those controllers have that may be of interest to you. I have never seen an RGBW (or RGB+CCT) controller that cannot control just a RGB strip (nothing to hook up to the white) so you can always future proof a bit. They can even control single-color strips (if you want to control a white-only strip, or a red-only).

My opinion on some DIY Pros/Cons:
Pro - Cheapest possible method
Pro - More possible combinations of what it controls (ex: do you just need 30 LEDs/meter strip (or 60 or 144), just need RGB, need RGBW (warm white), need RGBW (cool white), RGB+CCT, RGB spotlights, etc...) it all depends on what you are willing to do and the same controller can handle MOST of those (most but not ALL are RGBW and fewer are RGB+CCT)
Pro - Buying individual ones means you will NOT be locked into some weird proprietary connector between the strip and controller or it's power supply. Not all sets do this but some do and it can be very annoying if something happens to one (personal example: cat chewing through an LED strip connector)
Con - It will be more time consuming to set up than most packaged sets
Con - It MAY not look quite as appealing as a packaged set, although many packaged sets are just a controller and LED strip in the same box and you could buy them both separately if you wanted

1 Like

Just my 2 cents but RGBW controllers are notoriously problematic. The forum is littered with driver issue posts. (Half are mine lol) I’m getting ready to wave the white flag myself and just go with a off the shelf product. The Fibaro RGBW controller is the only one supported but there’s an issue between Fibaro model #s. Save yourself the time and headaches and go with an off the shelf solution.

2 Likes