RGB and color attributes from capability ColorControl

If I had gotten it to work.. I would have spent some time updating the wiki documebtation

Maybe that is what we all need to do, take something we know well and update that part, eventually we all have better documentation. I feel I'm about ready to start doing that after having been programming for the platform since early December. But only for certain parts I'm using extensively in my own drivers and apps.

1 Like

hopefully this is actually relevant to this discussion...

I have noticed that since switching to hubitat I can no longer issue google the command "lights Daylight" and get a cool white, i get the standard warm white. I have to say "lights Aliceblue" to get the cool white or daylight color out of my bulbs.

I'm not sure how other bulbs work, but the specific ones I am using seem to use a Saturation setting of 1 (using 0 in hubitat often results in the bulbs jumping to warm white, no idea why) to set the bulb to Daylight color as it is just a RGBW, not an RGBWW. Or at least thats the only way I can get them to go a cooler white.

Any idea on how I/we can get the daylight color to work properly with these bulbs? I would assume that all the drivers are setting color temp to differentiate between the shades of white, but on these bulbs all color temps are he same warm white. There is no color difference between temps.

I will admit I do not know much about what is controlled by firmware vs driver when it comes to the color settings sent, but since this behavior vanishes if using the default cloud app for the bulbs i think its something we should be able to insert in the drivers for specific bulbs, and not a firmware issue but i cant be sure since there isnt currently anyway to use the bulbs on hubitat without changing firmware.

@markus This is on the standard Tasmota firmwares .1-.6. I believe the same behavior exhibited when i was using your drivers but I am not 100% sure. I'll let you know in PM later on if the behavior is present in the new parent/child driver as soon as i get around to installing them.

Don't think it is related, as far as I know colorTemperature is what is used to set Daylight color.

My driver doesn't implement Daylight with just a warm white + RGB, but I guess it could, it would require some "trickery" in how things are done, but it could be done. It doesn't depend on which version of Tasmota you use, as long as it is one of my releases all work. Otherwise you might miss some status updates and be "out-of-sync" with the device, but nothing else.

@markus

I did some digging and on bulbs that only have the Warm white led and as near as i can tell I was correct and they fudge the daylight or cool white and it is just using the RGB channels with a saturation of 0.

I don't know how the sliders appear on other bulbs under the web ui, but on these bulbs the saturation bar is actually white at one end and the color of the selected hue at the other.

Could a simple workaround be accomplished by adding a color define for "daylight" in the drivers on hubitat or would it need to be something altered in the firmware?

Obviously for public drivers you would need to have this only triggered if used on the appropriate bulb type, but with your up coming parent/child driver set and the use of templates etc id think it would be alot easier to do.

Yes, that is what it sounded like, they treat the RGB as the "cold white channel".

I think the "easiest" would be a setting like "Use RGB as Cold White" and then all things just have to adjust accordingly, but there is nothing "simple" about that... Best would probably be to have that added the to Tasmota firmware as a setting. I wonder if that has been discussed, you could search the official repo tickets?

I'll have a look into that, I wasn't sure exactly where it needed addressing.

I feel it would be "cleaner" to do it in firmware, since that way Color Temperature commands can be used. It might need some setting for calibration as well though... I wonder if something similar could be done for if you have "Cold White" + RGB... I think I have a strip like that I don't use, it was something I got when I didn't look closely on the specs...