Reward Offered: Ikea Tradfri Wireless Dimmer Button compatibility

Yea the xbee is something on the to do (later) list for now. I just got the conbee last week so am just experimenting and pushing the limits of what it can do. I got it for the main purpose of going OTA firmware updates to some of my devices and now that's done I'm just seeing what else I can put it to use now. Looks like its gonna be useful to breathe new life into my old ikea buttons. Even the non-battery hue tap switches works.

1 Like

Yeah I use it for ikea on/off switches, hue dimmer and the hue tap

The Ikea smart ecosystem uses Zigbee groups for integration between switches and devices. This is convenient for users because switches and devices can be linked (and used) without a hub, Groups are a core part of the Zigbee standard.

Ikea gives away its switches with many of its devices, is hugely popular in much of the world, and is an active part of the Zigbee alliance.

The fundamental issue is that HE platform is not fully group aware currently so cannot integrate with Ikea Zigbee ecosystem. Other platforms that support Ikea smart devices can do so because of their more complete support for Zigbee groups.

Instead of telling people who want to integrate their existing, functional, devices with HE, โ€œtoss them in the landfill and buy new devices using the limited parts of the Zigbee standard HE supportsโ€ it would be more helpful if HE platform grew, and supported devices that are Zigbee group oriented.

3 Likes

Which zigbee standard? Is device grouping part of zha1.2?

Please see https://zigbeealliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/07-5123-06-zigbee-cluster-library-specification.pdf, 3.6 Groups (document from 2016) or newer documents. Groups are well defined and commonly used at this point. Technically they may be optional, but that is becoming less valid for not having support over time. Thanks.