Retrigger Prevention

@mluck

For shits & giggles, can you try decreasing the sensitivity on the Mighty Mule potentiometer?

Maybe you could try a more indirect trigger using a virtual switch. Use two simple rules, with no conditional statements needed.

Rule 1
Trigger: Driveway sensor ON ##or Closed or whatever it does when it is activated
Action:
Turn virtual switch ON ##no conditional statements here, just do it.

Rule 2
Trigger: Virtual switch on
Action:
Send pushover message ##no conditional statements here, just do it.
Delay 5 minutes
Turn virtual switch OFF

No matter how many times the mighty mule thing triggers, the virtual switch can only turn on once. Once it is on it canā€™t be turned on again until it is off. So there should only be one trigger going to rule 2, until the virtual switch gets turned off.

I think this should work, should be easy to try it.

7 Likes

Guys, I really appreciate all the ideas. I tried messing with the potentiometer, no joy. I was about to swap out the private boolean for a local variable when I saw @geroose's idea. The clouds immediately parted to reveal rainbows and butterflies. Brilliant and simple solution. All solved. Thank you thank you thank you!

4 Likes

Just learned that I can't hit the heart multiple times for @geroose. Damn technology.

1 Like

You'll see in that earlier debounce thread that I'm also trying to stop a Mighty Mule from stuttering ...to no avail. Here's a dirty fix;
"Alert,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, vehicle in driveway'"

I get 1 to 3 "Alerts" then the "vehicle in driveway." Sounds OK, and nowhere near as annoying as the previous stuttering.

But why tolerate ā€˜less annoyingā€˜ when @geroose gave us an elegant and simple solution above?!

At the time I posted, I didn't know it worked. That said, I have a bunch of ol' programmer quirks that put me off on that one; I'm not keen on 2 Rules nor virtual devices. (I still tense up every time I type special characters in a text block, hhh.)

Lol pretty sure there are professionals that can help you with that.

2 Likes