Restrict Dashboards to users

I would like to restrict dashboards to certain users. I.E. have a "status only" dashboard that is available to my kids on their mobile. But restrict dashboards that have access to locks and garage door openers to only the adult users. Is there a way to do this? Near as I can tell access is either all or nothing.

That is correct. There is no way for the Hub to know what user is requesting the dashboard as you don't have to log in. Also, many users have dashboards on permanently mounted tablets where it would be inconvenient for users to log in every time before being able to execute commands. You could give the kids only the link to the Status dashboard and turn off the ability of the Hubitat symbol to go back to the dashboard menu. This would limit them only to the dashboards you give them the links to. Alternatively, you can protect a dashboard with a pin to restrict access.

2 Likes

Thanks. For the record, disabling the logo button on the status dashboard is what I am currently doing. The downside is I cannot give those users access via the android/ios app, as if they have access to the app they have access to all dashboards. Which also means I cannot use the geofencing abilities.

Yup. But if they are old enough to have a cell phone, aren't they old enough to not screw around with the dashboard?

There are some restrictions you can do.
Create a dashboard with only devices you want your kid to have control.
Go into settings and uncheck : allow logo click to go back to dashboard menu
Also under advanced in the dashboard app. Click on : lock down dashboard so no changes can be made in the web UI of this dashboard.
Now share the cloud link address with you kid or create a home link icon on his/her phone.
Your kid won't be able to do anything other than control the devices on that link.

Edit : this won't work with the HE app of course. Just a browser link

2 Likes

In theory yes. However, let's just say there's a bit more to this story that I would rather not publish to the world. I intentionally made my example more generic than it is.

Thanks all. I understand that if the access is via URL and a web browser, the hub really can't verify user access. However, this is possible via the mobile app. Hopefully the app will be enhanced to support this someday.

1 Like

This is possibly the most optimistically naive thing I've read all year!

2 Likes

I don't think so, not if you raise your children right. But not many people do, that's why we have millennials.

I use Life360 to track my kids. It's way for reliable than the HE app for my case since the HE app often requires login after an update.

Id like this also. I have a big house and would prefer they (other users) cant access certain things. My shop lock is under alarmcom for this reason. Its quite simplistic to just say control your kids. In my shop is a collector car, guns, and expensive tools. Id also prefer the lights in the master only be on certain users dashboards. The whole point of this type of automation is customization. Maybe one day this will come, or Ill change hubs again when something more specific to my needs comes around. Till then, its alarmcom that does the user specific controls.

1 Like

You could make a dashboard home page with links for each family member that direct them to a dashboard specifically made for them and use pin codes for each link so people can't access the other dashboards. Then have a link in everyone's dashboard back to the home page or I'm not sure but I think fully kiosk can go back to the home page after a set amount of time incase you forget to click the home link.

1 Like

Just create dashboards with limited devices and share the link. You can lock down with PIN code or set lock down dashboard so no change could be made in the dashboard app advance setting.
I do this with my kids and other users with success.
They can only control what's on the dashboard.

3 Likes

This works perfect. I appreciate the help.
I am still on the fence about moving my locks off alarmcom. It would be nice to make useful rules instead of their limited options.