Responsiveness - Lutron Caseta vs ZWave Plus

Then stick with innovelli for your switches if you're going with z-wave

2 Likes

Then stick with innovelli for your switches if you're going with z-wave

Hum, Why's that? For my test install I went with GE Enbrighten, as it was ZWave+ and I liked the shorter depth and the easy wiring is a plus. Innovelli didn't seem to mention "+", and the cool LED stuff it does, doesn't do much for me. I want things dark. But I'm just figuring all this stuff out! = )

Thanks!
Nick

Pretty much anything you'll buy new these days should be Z-Wave Plus (if not Plus v2), but that's definitely a good thing to look for since I would probably steer clear of non-Plus devices at this point, or at least non-Plus repeaters (non-repeaters still aren't as much fun but at least can't affect your other devices)--and particularly non-plus GE/Jasco and likely other brands of switches that didn't want to license a (now-expired) Lutron patent and therefore did not report physical switch events back to the hub until polled. So, I guess most manufacturers won't rub the "Plus" thing in your face anymore given how common it is (Plus v2 or 700-series, I would--pretty new and not a lot of those yet!), and there are still things you can buy that aren't, but FWIW they do at least appear to mention it:

Screenshot from website (tap/click to show)

Personally, I like the Inovelli Red Series devices for the LED bar I can use for "notifications" or status (my biggest use is probably syncing them to my hub mode so I know how certain automations, mostly lighting-based ones, should work), but if you don't have a use for that--or think you will--then I suppose it wouldn't factor into your consideration. Lutron certainly has reliability going for it, and there are other brands that can top both of these on price (though Inovelli still isn't bad there) if that is a big concern. Regarding depth, I think the new Inovellis are only a tad deeper than the new GEs, and both are a lot smaller than the previous generation of either, but I suppose you can look at the specs to see for sure. I've only used these, HomeSeer, and Zooz (the latter two still being a fairly "classic" design, except Zooz now has new 700-series ones I haven't tried yet and are also smaller).

Or, to summarize the book I wrote above, there are a lot of options and I guess it boils down, in part, to what features you do (or don't) want (or need). :rofl:

3 Likes

The largest installation I've done 60+ switches has been Zooz Zen23/24 "toggle" style switches. . Have only had to replace one or two and that was due to electrician over torquing things. For the bathroom fans I used Jasco/GE Enbrighten toggles as they are designed for that kind of load - they work well too and the lighted "toggle" is a helpful indicator. I've also used Inovelli paddle switches both Black and Red but only in smaller quantities - they are great albeit a bit more expensive but I recommend as well.

2 Likes

All innovelli are z-wave+ and they're firmware updateable as well. I've found enbrighten products (as well as most GE stuff) to have a good amount of failures. Their last series of switches were so bad they had to offer extended warranties to people. That said another bonus is that innovelli monitors these forums. The LED's are good for status as well. For instance at a glance you can use one of it's LED's to tell you if the garage is open for any reason, another to set if your house is armed, etc. The possibilities are endless. Cost is the same as the GE's and a far better quality... Had 3 enbrighten outlets and 2 switches. Only one outlet left working and neither switch. I will say I like their door sensors. Those have been flawless, but I'm staying away from their switches/outlets

1 Like

So my experience with the newer enbrighten toggle (not paddle) switches has been fine.. but I have only used them for bathroom fans. Have not had any fail on me with my oldest install being from last August.

I thought there were 2 varieties of Enbrighten with the newer models being better. I have only used the outdoor GE outlet which controls my landscape lighting and seems to be working fine.

1 Like

In the last month, we had a few weather-related power surges, and I know someone in my neighborhood that lost a couple Enbrighten products (one dimmer, one switch).

In general, for as much as we have spent on our smart homes, I highly recommend a whole house surge protector. There are several recommended products out there. I have this Eaton unit installed in my house. I've heard good things about an equivalent Siemens unit as well.

FWIW, I haven't lost any electronic devices since installing 240V surge protectors at my main panel, heat-pump, and air-handler.

4 Likes

That is such a great idea - it makes you wonder why it's not "code" at this point.

3 Likes

Agreed. Even homes that aren't smart have a few thousand dollars worth of electronics - mostly in unexpected places: washers, dryers, fridges, microwaves, water heaters, HVAC equipment .....

4 Likes

Mine just got delivered :slight_smile:.

This will probably be next up for me.

2 Likes

This is the HVAC surge protector I installed because it was reviewed well on Amazon:

Unlike the main panel protection units that are 4-conductor units that offer L-L, L-N, L-G, and N-G protection, these are 3 conductor units that are connected to both hot legs and ground. In my 35 year old townhouse, I don’t have a separate neutral for 240V circuits.

3 Likes

We really need a 700-series plug-in lamp dimmer. I have about 6 of them throughout the house and they're all non-plus, needing to be replaced. The Z-Wave Allliance lists a Minoston and a Johnson as the only two options, but they aren't for sale anywhere yet.

2 Likes

Oh! I had no idea about the quality issues. Humm.. OOC, do they allow you to not care about which input is load and which input is power? (Not killer, but my house has black wire for both those wires, so it's nice if I don't have to suss out which is which)

Thanks!
Nick

Oh man, the Red Dimmers are apparently out of stock until mid June. :frowning: I'd love to try, but that's cutting it too close.

no common needed

Is this also true for other ZWave+ switches? ie, GE Enlighten

Thanks for all your insights! = ) This has made home automation fun again! :slight_smile:
Nick

Those should pair as none. The only thing you want with security really are locks. The less s0 entries the better (its really chatty)

[erktrek]
That is such a great idea - it makes you wonder why it's not "code" at this point.

Actually, it is. In the USA, the National Electrical Code was modified in 2020 adding a number of new requirements for electrical installations. Adding surge protectors on both sides of the main electrical panel is one of the new requirements.

Also GFCI protection is required for additional outlets. Previously these devices were required for bathroom outlets within 6 ft of a sink, shower or bathtub and for outdoor receptacles. Now they are required for all outdoor outlets and for all outlets in both finished and unfinished basements for all outlets whether 110-120 V or 220-250 V.

In kitchen and laundry rooms GFCIs are now required. This also applies to 250 V outlets such as electric ranges and dryers if they are within 6 feet of a sink. On 250V appliances it is common to have common ground/neutral wires; This is no longer permitted by the GFCI requirement. I am glad I have a gas range and gas dryer that only require standard 120 V outlet.

Although the requirement only applies to new or remodeling conditions, I will probably rewire my outlets to provide GFCI protection.

2 Likes

What are your thoughts on installing GFCI breakers? And combo AFCI/GFCI breakers for circuits that would benefit from it (bedrooms/kitchens)?

I would avoid adding GFCI to any refrigerator/freezer circuits. Losing hundreds of dollars worth of food, because of a faulty GFCI outlet/breaker, would not be fun.

3 Likes