Reset zwave routes

I have tried searching but can't figure it out. Is there a way to have the hubitat re-evaluate all the connections for the z-wave or zigbee mesh? I can see with the app Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details that some of my devices are using multiple hops to connect to the hubitat. One of them is literally 5 feet away from the hub so it should absolutely be a direct connection.

How do I get the hubitat to redo the zwave mesh without completely removing and re adding each device one at a time?

Not really; Z-Wave will find a way back to the hub on its own, and the hub does not provide a means to change that path. The best thing you can do is either wait (more likely to help if the device loses its previous path back to the hub) or do a "Repair" on that node if you have a C-7 or C-8 hub (the only models with this option; all hubs have a network-wide "Repair" option that you could also use but is generally preferable to avoid given the traffic it causes). A repair is no guarantee that things will change but will at least make the node re-evaluate things. I don't believe this works on most battery devices.

Zigbee is similar, except it is entirely self-healing with no specific option similar to a repair that you can do, only the "panic mode" trick you can try but is generally not necessary unless you want to see if speeding the process up helps. (Z-Wave Plus should also be effectively self-healing; classic Z-Wave is the only kind of device that should ever theoretically need a repair in some cases, though you can do it on any generation).

On a related note, the C-8 hub has external antennas, which generally encourages more direct connections. Some users have modded the C-7 (and I think even C-5) to do the same. If you have a C-3/C-4, you could try an extension cable for the stick to see if orienting it differently helps. Any of those is an other option you can try if nothing else helps and you still want to change something. But if this is more of a curiosity and you aren't having problems, I wouldn't worry too much about routes -- one of Z-Wave's multiple mysteries. :slight_smile:

You haven't said if you actually have an issue w/Z-Wave/Zigbee performance you are trying to resolve?

If things are working normally then you really don't need to worry about the routes...and as Robert noted the Zigbee and Z-Wave meshes will re-align over time if communication via existing routes is problemmatic. As he also said for Z-Wave on C7/8 you can do individual repairs on devices you'd like to update routing, but no guarantees the route will change, and re-routing can take a while (>days).

But basically, the advice on worrying about routing is if it ain't broke...

If you do have performance/reliability issues, if you describe them others here can provide specific suggestions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This makes sense to me, I can definitely try the "Repair" function. I only just found it in the Z-Wave Mesh Details app.

The main issue I was having is with a light switch. I have two UltraPro in wall dimmers side by side. One of them works perfectly and can use all the button commands to launch things ( think double tap etc ). The other however never registers anything with the hub. For a while I thought it was a defect in the switch itself but I moved it elsewhere and it worked just fine so that's how I landed on the connection or multiple hop issue. The connection speed for that specific location is 60% slower than the switch directly next to it, so I have been trying to make some adjustments with repeaters and such by moving other devices to no avail.

Maybe it is time to look at the C-8 ( currently have a C-7). It's just strange because the switch itself is only 25ft away from the hub, but there are a couple walls in the way.

Thanks for the help though. I have a few options to try now.

Definitely performance issues.

Have a dimmer switch with a basic rule assigned. If I double tap then it performs a few functions. The physical double tap on the switch literally never triggers. There are no events logged nothing at all. I have tested the rule itself and the actions work. I can also trigger it using the hubitat dashboard and selecting the device and double tap from the website or mobile app.

That's what led me to try and figure out if it is a connection issue which it seems to be. I don't know the description for all the table columns in the Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details app but here is what it says.

Connection Speed: 40kbps
RTT Avg: 2507 ms, count: 174
RTT Std Dev: 4124.20 ms
LWR RSSI: 25 dB
Route Changes: 17

Most are in the red. I am just going to look up what the column names mean so I can take appropriate steps to fixing the issue.

Those are pretty terrible times, is this switch routing through a few other devices on the way to the hub, or is it fairly directly connected?

You have 17 route changes that's not horrible but it's not so good either your device is clearly kind of looking around for a way to connect to the hub.

Have you run an individual repair on that switch yet? You should definitely do that. It may take a few days after for any differences to be noticed.

It has one hop from the hub to connect. so something like HUB -> device -> switch. It is strange that the times are so bad since the distance is fairly small ( roughly 25 feet ), but that is why I was wondering if I could force a repair. I don't mind trying more since that's part of the deal, it's just a little odd that the connection speed and round trip time ( finally figured out what RTT means ) are so poor, while other devices are at about 100kbps with RTT Avg times of 4 or 7 ms

1 Like

Pull the Air-gap for a few seconds

Good suggestion, can't hurt, could help.

Is the device it's routing through show good speed/connectivity?

You probably should also run an individual repair on the switch.

The device it's running through has great speed. But I will definitely try the air gap switch. In the process of check things I had the power off for a little while today to remove the switch itself, but it's worth another go.

I may have come across a way to manually set a primary route for a device, but it would require a secondary controller (USB Stick) and the PC Controller software. Have not tested it out yet, just found the info today.

4 Likes

Nice find - Traffic cop!

But with great power...

So I just tested it on a switch that really should not be doing direct because its antenna is crap, and there is a good switch 5 ft from it. I set both the Priority Return and the Priority Route to hop through the reliable switch that is 5 ft from it. After a few minutes this new route shows on the zwave details! This device NEVER has been given this route in the past, but it is the most logical. Couple of tests and response time on it is great.

I tried to force two others to go direct but it either isnt working or they don't like it. Looks like they both changed routes after so even though they should be able to go direct seems like maybe they dont like it. Going to try it once more.

EDIT: One of the two took the direct this time. After setting the route I switched it on/off from the hub and then refreshed to see the new route. The other switch which is in a 3 gang box maybe 6ft from the hub is refusing to cooperate. The other two (one of which is the same model switch) in the same box are direct!

Ok, one more try and it took the bait this time. Now we will see if they stick or not. According to that blog post if that route fails (acks are too slow) they will just try one of the other 4 cached routes. But also, it sounds like they should keep trying the Priority route first so hopefully this does not result in them flopping back and forth a lot.

4 Likes

Thanks Jeff ( @jtp10181 )

I was able to update the firmware on two Zen 72 dimmers (to firmware 2.20), and a Zen 54 0-10 volt module (to firmware 1.30) using a Zooz Zstick but this did not resolve some weird routing issues where one of the Zen72 switches was going direct to hub, but the other (in the same 2 gang box) was routing through two other zwave devices.

Setting the Priority route to 00 00 00 00 for the problematic Zen72 device fixed the issue after I set it, then removed the Zstick. Now both route directly to the hub at 100 kbps :slight_smile: These two dimmers control PTC inline heaters in my HRV setup, so having them worked correctly together is important:

2 Likes