Request: Provide option to specify NTP Server to use, stop hard-wiring it to pool.ntp.org

Indeed, I created this post after contacting them and they are on it. Hopefully with fix globally soon. I’m very impressed with their responsiveness!

I've also got an issue with pool.ntp.org being blocked by both ISPs available here; however, I have had zero response from support, and basically have a non-functional hubitat from the day I bought it.

@craigspree Can you tell me what the resolution was?

Have you contacted support@hubitat.com? If so, when?

Are you able to get into your hub's web ui?

I did, emailed; the day I received the unit, which was a few days ago now. I have not received any response yet however.

I can 'sometimes' get into the UI, but it's minutes at a time between when I can load a page and not, and navigation, changing any settings, etc., is next to impossible.

When I do get in, it tells me something similar to the OP, wherein it says it's unregistered, I register it, or it says it's already registered, or it registers okay then moments later says it's not registered again, etc...

Browser time is set; I've been deleting stock apps to try and get things back to factory as there doesn't seem to be a factory reset.

Restarting it doesn't speed things up either.

There is an automated email response -- did you get that? If not, send again.

Browser timeout, 404, empty page, sometimes get to the UI.

Those are symptoms of network trouble. You have a duplicate address? Did you set a static address in your router so that DHCP will give the hub the exact same address each and every time?

Do you have IPv6 running? (a report several months ago had that as a cure for something similar.)

IPv4 reservation set, no network issues. 404 is an http response direct from the hub. Known good wired connection, verified with other devices at high bandwidth. Eyeballing TCP/UDP traffic, connections there, the hub itself is just not replying, or doing so slowly enough that things seem to spin forever.

4th try at registering, it's now downloaded the update and said it was applying it. Now it's been sitting a minute or two at 'You will be automatically redirected to your Hubitat Elevation.'

Interface has now finally loaded, went through the intro slides and into Settings, same 'Cloud connection is unavailable' system message, and 10-20 second page load times.

Ok, you have a "fresh Hub" -- how about a full and complete power cycle? Settings, shutdown, when the light goes RED, pull the power, wait 10 seconds, plug it back in and connect again??

Eventually started; now back to unregistered and no cloud connection.... Back in the same loop.

You do have a network problem.. just not clear where it is. The power cycle I just advised was targeting a wobbly hub ethernet connection.

I have a brand new hub too.. it's my 4th one, but still, it's new to me AND my first C-5 (with internal radios.) I received it on Saturday.. so.. 6.5 days ago??

I followed along with my advice, factory resetting, shutdown, etc. I even went into my DHCP and gave it a different IP. It got re-registered and now portal sees it at the new address. Exactly as I'd expect, all with sub second responses... which is to be expected for 1.6ms ping times.

64 bytes from 192.168.7.65: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.62 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.7.65: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.45 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.7.65: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.46 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.7.65: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1.51 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.7.65: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.46 ms

That's yet another indicator that a network problem exists for the Hub. It can't 'phone home' and is telling you twice. It can't reach the cloud, and because of that, can't reach the registration server.

The registration server "need" is usually time related. The hub is on EST and should be on Pacific, for example. In settings there's Hub Details where you can set the Hub's time based on your browser. Then a reboot would generally fix the registration issue. But your's probably would not because, there's no cloud connection either.

I sent off an email to support@hubitat.com and got the robo response in a couple minutes.

it contains the assigned case number:

Thank you for contacting Support Services at Hubitat. Your request has been received outside of our normal hours of operation and will be reviewed by our support staff during the next scheduled business day.

Our hours of operation are 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST.

In the meantime, you can find user documents at docs.hubitat.com.

Hubitat Elevation also has a very active community with many friendly members ready to offer assistance outside of our normal business hours. Search answers or post your own at community.hubitat.com
You can reply to this email and add any comments to your request that may help us better serve you. Please be sure to refer to case number: 12858.

Yep -

1. @bobbyD sent me a new c-5 hub preloaded with Hubitat software
  2. I had to go into settings, hub detail, update time from browser (it was showing the year as 2014 or something strange - the time needed to be accurate for things to work)
  3. Then I rebooted, reserved a local IP address for the hub and gave @bobbyD my local IP address for the hub and my public IP address
  4. After instructed to, I did one more reboot and I was good to go.

Note, every time that I power down/shut down the hub and turn it back on, I have to do step 2 over again to have it reset the hub clock to use my browser otherwise the hub says it’s not registered. This is a bug I’ve reported to support and hope to see a fix soon.

One thing I noticed (it may/may not help you) when I was having an issue with my 2 new hubs not updating time after reboots (they were an hour ahead of my coordinator hub) so after each reboot I had to go to hub settings and update time from browser to fix.

After I went into "Locations and Modes" setting and added my postal code, then moved the "hub icon" on the google map to my actual current location....

I no longer have any issues having to update the time after reboots.

As always, I do appreciate the suggestion. This did not fix my issue with shutdown/restart causing me to have to sync the clock to my browser, unfortunately.

@bravenel
I have to agree with not forcing the ntp pool as this should be a setting instead that defaults to the ntp pool.

For me this is a problem because my network is already a Stratum 2 time clock and my network time is part of the ntp pool.

Admin information

Your profile is currently public , mark it private
Email: sgrayban@removed

Your Servers

Hostname: time-clock.borgnet.us
IP: 63.230.134.161
Current score: 17.7
Stratum: 2
Zones: @ north-america us

https://www.ntppool.org/scores/63.230.134.161

13 posts were split to a new topic: Add option to change login for reset process

My first post. And it's a necro-bump, sorry. This thread is top google hit.

I'm a wink refugee.

Hubitat Elevation not impressing this am.
Currently running version: 2.2.0.128

Power out yesterday at ~4:00pm. Restored around 11pm based on the oven clock. This am, internet is up (albeit slow), and nothing sunrise dependent on the Hubitat executed. Hubitat thinks it's 11:11pm on the wrong day.

I gather from this thread that the internet was not up when the Hubitat booted. OK, can't control that. It was also implied somewhere that it would continue to check NTP (hard coded).

So, how come my Hubitat, which by my observation had an internet connection, could not get it's bearings in the 6 hours 'til sunrise to actually do what I told it to do?

Pi Hole: I have a pi hole, and the router will tell all DHCP'd devices to use it for DNS. I gather from this thread that the point is moot because DNS is also hard coded in the Hubitat to 8.8.8.8.
Router DHCP will hand out a 'static' ip to the Hubitat's MAC ID.

I see an update is available, and I will now go update.

But given the above I would have expected it handle this and calc a correct sunrise, and update it's time.

There is a community NTP Client driver available to update time based on a local ntp server:

1 Like